Hey everybody! First post!

I consider myself a pretty tech-savvy dude, and for the most part I'm able to solve just about any problem that has come up with my computers over the years. This one is kinda weird.

It only happens when I am burning several cds in succession from a disc image with nero (I haven't tested other programs). Anyways, after several cds (there's no consistent number or condition that I have seen to cause this) my computer will appear to freeze- can't move the mouse it doesn't respond etc. Only I noticed that it's not actually 'locking' up completely- it will let up for about 1-2 seconds every 30 seconds or so, process something I've done or update what's going on in some way, and then go back. I tried running the performance monitor just this last time to see if it would give me some clues as to what is causing this.

When it locked though, the performance monitor would just go blank and have total amnesia as to what had happened during the freeze time. From the little bits it did write, I found that the cpu usage was just slammed averaging over 90% maxing at 99.9xx%. I also noticed that the memory's pages/sec appear to be spiking very high as well.

The problem only seems to occur right as it's about to start a new cd, or I think it has also done it just after finishing, not during (maybe once).

system info: amd athlon64 1.8ghz, 2GB ddr400, asus a8n-e mobo, several HDs, plextor cd/dvd-rw drive, win xp pro.

This isn't a huge problem, my system has been stable aside from this issue. What can I do to find out what could be causing the problem? So far, I haven't been able to find a way to snap it out of this, and always resort to restarting.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

We need to know what process is using all the memory.
In Task Manager, click on the memory column and the highest numbers will show at the top. Identify the process(es) and go from there.
Ending that process should free up the memory it's using.
Google "Nero memory leak" and you'll find some interesting discussions.

Kinda sounds like it's getting stuck in a loop. Memory leak sounds promising but how to fix? Usually either something else is occupying a memory space or memory is spooling up somewhere that it cannot occupy...maybe a bad sector of the hard drive? I have seen it! I would do a quick chkdsk and, if not run recently, defrag...just for fun. I really know how to have fun, eh? I have also seen very poor performance from a CPU whose fan was not working properly. Eventually it would throw a memory error after crawling along badly for some time. Also check out a program called "Process Explorer" (from SysUtils now owned by Microsoft) as it will give you a more accurate picture of any child processes spawning in the "system" process context...could be helpful. It's like a task manager that actually gives you helpful information! Why they can't get something like that into the OS will never cease to baffle me...

Good luck!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.