I have an emachines desktop. I am getting this blue screen and I cannot boot up windows at all. The blue screen says to disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, then restart your computer.

Technical information
Stop: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x83781788,0xc0000102,0x00000000)

The problem is I can't get to a place to run CHKDSK /F
It always goes to the blue screen even when I turn off the computer totally.
What button do I press on the keyboard to get to a place where I can run chkdsk?
James

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

I have an emachines desktop. I am getting this blue screen and I cannot boot up windows at all. The blue screen says to disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, then restart your computer.

Technical information

What button do I press on the keyboard to get to a place where I can run chkdsk?
James

hello ,If you have a winxp cd put it int he cdrom drive and boot computer ,wait for message hit any key to boot to cd,you may need to go into the bios to change the boot order to get it to boot to the cd-rom ,if it boots to the cd you then need to hit R for repair to get to the recovery console and there you can run the chkdsk.

if the chkdsk doesn't work the other way is to do the same steps as shown before, only then not R to repair, but hit enter to reinstall... 1 hint, remove and remake partition where windows is installed now.

if the chkdsk doesn't work the other way is to do the same steps as shown before, only then not R to repair, but hit enter to reinstall... 1 hint, remove and remake partition where windows is installed now.

this will wipe drive of all data and important file on the hdd.if you hit R the second time it will reinstall over current install .this will only work if you winxp cd is not a OEM version

Technical information

James

James,
Here is a write up regarding the STOP code 0x24 complements of http://aumha.org:

0x00000024: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
(Click to consult the online MSDN article.)
A problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software. I suggest running ChkDsk or ScanDisk as a first step; then disable all file system filters such as virus scanners, firewall software, or backup utilities. Check the file properties of NTFS.SYS to ensure it matches the current OS or SP version. Update all disk, tape backup, CD-ROM, or removable device drivers to the most current versions.

Here is an article from MS regarding the recovery console http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058.

Another option you have is putting the HDD into another system and running chkdsk and defrag from the good system.

AJZ

Thanks for the information. I put the XP Operating CD in the CD rom drive and it says welcome to setup: I have 3 options:
1. To set up windows xp now, press enter.
2. To repair a windows xp installation using recovery console, press R.
3. TO quit setup without installing windows xp, press F3.
Ok Here is what I did. I first did #2 and I came to a dos prompt (black screen with white writing on it) I typed chkdsk and it did some checking and said it found some errors. Then I typed in EXIT and I was able to get to my programs, BUT with a lot of problems like, the windows installer did not work, Windows excel did not work right, and the seach button (to search for files on your hdd) did not work.
So then I rebooted the computer. Same problem.
Then I rebooted again and at the windows setup screen I chose option #1 (to set up windows xp, press enter). It then brought me to a screen where I chose F8 (I agree). Then it said that it was searching for windows xp. Then it brought me to the windows xp professional setup screen.
At this screen I have 2 options:
1. To repair the selected windows xp installation, press R.
2. To continue installing a fresh copy of windows xp without repairing, press ESC.
I pressed option #1 (not wanting to erase all my stuff on my hdd, just wanting to repair those above listed problems). Well, after it finished it rebooted my computer and the next thing I see is the 1rst screen of a NEW windows xp copy starting to install on my computer.
I don't understand. DId I erase everything on my hdd unknowingly? I pressed the repair option, not the installing a fresh copy of xp option.
Is everything lost now.
James

I pressed the repair option, not the installing a fresh copy of xp option.
Is everything lost now.
James

it shouldn't be if you did what you said you did ,its been 12 hrs now ,did it finish installing

it shouldn't be if you did what you said you did ,its been 12 hrs now ,did it finish installing

It stopped after 5 min. and I got the blue screen again. Now what. I feel that the only way to get this working again is to install a fresh copy of xp from this cd. I know that I will lose everything but I don't know what else to do.
James

do it,but you could take the harddrive out and install as a slave drive in another computer to get any important data off

Technical information

James

Use the F8 key as soon as the PC completes the post check. Then use safe mode with command prompt. If you still can't log on I suggest using a boot disk then run ChkDsk /f /r or ScanDisk as a first step; then disable all file system filters such as virus scanners, firewall software, or backup utilities. Check your file properties of NTFS.SYS to ensure it matches the current OS or SP version. Update all disk, tape backup, CD-ROM, or removable device drivers to the most current versions.

running 98 and have the same issue I can't get off the blue screen however my cd drive stopped working so i have no way to run the cd. Laptop is used for internet only - does anyone have any suggestions as to being able to run the chkdsk/f from where i am. have tried to shut down and reboot multiple time and to F8 out of the start up???????????????????

running 98 and have the same issue I can't get off the blue screen however my cd drive stopped working so i have no way to run the cd. Laptop is used for internet only - does anyone have any suggestions as to being able to run the chkdsk/f from where i am. have tried to shut down and reboot multiple time and to F8 out of the start up???????????????????

go to http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm and download file for a win98 boot disk [floppy] boot computer with and run scandisk ,chkdsk /f is winxp command .scandisk for win98 .you will need a floppy disk for this to work .the download when clicked on it will create the floppy disk

Hi,

I am ne in this forum. Came acroos loking for information on blue screen and stop message. I have my computer on or a few days, yesterday I have some internet pages open, word and visio at the same time, went to lunch and when I look to my screen was blue.
I got the same message as in this thread http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread131761.html

Dimension 8400/XP/ BIOS version A09(07/07/06)\

I turned off and the third time I got again stop ox8e. Other message:
- Try changing video adapter
- Check bios update disable Bos memory option-caching or shadowing
- Restar F6, safe mode
- Run chkdsk

The fourth time I opened in save mode and got Stop 0x0A
-check new instalation
-bios info

The fith time I start in safe mode but most recent save / work point

then I got for the first time Stop 0x24.
My nephew installed a new cd burner and memory about a monthe ago. I disconnect the cd. dvd,

All have all the programs in C; my documents in D and in an external hard drive.

Please help :icon_redface::icon_redface::icon_redface::icon_redface::icon_redface:
I am in the point to start crying
:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(

get the computer back to its previous state. i.e. RAM and CD burner. Take everything new away and see what happens.

The variety of BSOD errors indicates a RAM problem to me but it could be driver conflict (though in this case I regard it as unlikely).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.