My friends computer is all f***** up and definitely needs reformatting (trust me) except, he doesn't have the quick restore disks. Is there any other way to reformat his computer?
He has the windows XP disk

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

I don't think you need a boot disk for XP - you just boot the computer with the XP CD in the drive, and it should ask you if you want to boot from the CD (it should say something like "Press any key to boot from CD..."). After that, just go to install XP as normal, and it should ask you if you want to format the hard drive prior to installing the O/S. You could probably find a more detailed explanation on www.windowsreinstall.com or something similar. I'm not sure if you are using XP Pro or Home, and I'm not sure of other elements of your system that may have an effect on what method of installation is best, so that site I mentioned will probably help you a lot as it covers most/all scenarios :)

Good luck :D

Since you don't have the restore disks, before you reformat, make sure you have all the drivers you will need (especailly the motherboard drivers).

I forgot to mention he has two hard drives a C: and a D:
what does that change?

It changes nothing really- the operating system will be on the C: drive, so that's the one you want to format.

Oh yeah, as dlh6213 pointed out, make sure you get the necessary drivers! I should have mentioned that...oopsy...lol

*walks away in shame* hehe

*Stumbles back* As DMR mentioned, the extra drive won't affect anything, but when you come to format the drive you will be asked if you want to format it as a FAT32 or NTFS drive. NTFS is generally the better option ;)

commented: Funny :D +1

ok thanks (inserting more characters)

I have XP home edition and I tried to follow the links instructions for adding partitions and formatting them but it will not allow me to format or add partitions is there something I need to turn on or does xp home edition not allow this.
I have xp pro on another computer and I can do it on that computer.

I have XP home edition and I tried to follow the links instructions for adding partitions and formatting them but it will not allow me to format or add partitions is there something I need to turn on or does xp home edition not allow this.
I have xp pro on another computer and I can do it on that computer.

bpsman, you should ask this question in the thread you already have going, not in someone else's.

bpsman, you should ask this question in the thread you already have going, not in someone else's.

Opps, sorry! :cheesy:

Just so there's no confusion about this:

Both Windows XP Home and Windows XP Pro will automatically format the system partition for you as part of the process of installing Windows when the partition is a newly created one. If you have created other partitions as well prior to installing Windows, you can format the other partitions later from within Windows.

my bros computer neds the same he has no cd at all and this spyware says it will scan and thats the virus trying to steal are information is there anyway to delte that or to boot it for free plz no scams an his internet broke down help me???????

Hi shuttle8.

First of all- welcome to Daniweb :).

We ask that members not piggy-back questions on to a thread previously started by another member here in the Viruses, Spyware & other Nasties forum, (regardless of how similar your problem might seem). Not only does it divert the focus of the thread away from the original poster's problem, but it also makes it less likely that you yourself will get the individual attention that you need.

Please start your own thread and post your question there. When you do, please try to give us as much specific info as possible regarding the problem (exact error messages, system specs, etc.).

For a full description of our posting guidelines and general rules of conduct, please see this page:

http://www.daniweb.com/forums/faq.php?faq=daniweb_policies

Thanks for understanding.

===============

Read me before posting a request for assistance and post the logs in the virus,spyware & other nasties forum.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.