Cool, thanks for the reply, one more question- will it matter if the disc is not for windows xp media center edition? I don't know anyone else that uses that specific os. can I use a regular xp disc?

actually I'm really not sure as i have never used media center nor install it ! but I would try a regular one anyway ,it might work and should cause no problems if it don't

I have the same message appear. I have the windows xp home cd. How can i restart windows xp home without losing any of the data stored on my computer such as pictures etc?

Sorry, I should explain that this is the message....

When Windows XP tries to load, I get the following message: "We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this." My options are:

Start in safe mode.
Safe mode with networking.
Safe mode with command prompt.
Last known good configuration setting (most recent setting that worked).
Start Windows normally.

If I select Start Windows Normally, it tries to load windows again, and it ends up at same place, it just goes in cycles.
Like i said before, I have the windows xp home cd if this helps.

Please help...

wouldn't think this one would be the likely one to try !

did you make any recent hardware changes ,did you try safe mode ,and maybe run your anti virus scan while in safe mode

I have tried both, it tries to reboot both times but ends up back at the ''We apologize.......'' screen.

so you tried safe mode and it will not go into it ,right !
my post #34 ,reread it you will see i asked 2 questions

Sorry. I also haven't made any recent hardware changes.

you could try this but remember you are doing so at your own risk/.
Repair install of Windows XP by starting your computer from the Windows XP CD
Note If Windows XP was preinstalled on your computer, you may need the installation CD to reinstall. Contact your computer manufacturer to make sure that you have the installation CD for a repair installation.

To reinstall Windows XP by starting your computer from the Windows XP CD, follow these steps:

1. Insert the Windows XP CD into your computer's CD drive or DVD drive, and then restart your computer.
2. When you receive the "Press any key to boot from CD" message on the screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
3. The following message on the Welcome to Setup screen will appear:
This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer: To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER. To repair a Windows XP installation by using Recovery Console, press R. To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
4. Press ENTER to set up Windows XP.
5. On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
6. Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.
7. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to reinstall Windows XP. After you repair Windows XP, you may have to reactivate your copy of Windows XP.

taking from this miscrosoft page .
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341

Thank you very much for your help. I will try this. I just hope it doesn't erase the pictures i have stored on the computer. What is the chance of that happening?

Once again, thanks for taking time out to help me. :-)

I just hope it doesn't erase the pictures i have stored on the computer. What is the chance of that happening?

50/50

Hi again. I really don't want to lose my pictures stored in the hard drive so I'm too scared to reload/repair xp, but would do as a last resort. I have an external hard drive is there any way i can slave the data from my computer to this?

Hi again. I really don't want to lose my pictures stored in the hard drive so I'm too scared to reload/repair xp, but would do as a last resort. I have an external hard drive is there any way i can slave the data from my computer to this?

sorry ,the external hdd needs to be hooked to a working computer to copy files to it !

You will lose your files only on Reinstalling XP by formatting the partition if your files are in the same partition that you may want to format..
Repairing XP will not cause you to lose any files unless MAYBE if you have stored them inside the 'windows' folder\directory...

Hello again. I followed your advice but after step 6, this message appears on the blue screen:

Windows XP Home Edition Setup

The following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitioned space on this computer.

Use the UP and DOWN ARROW keys to select an item in the list.

To set up Windows XP on the selected item, press ENTER.
To create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C.
To delete the selected partition, press D.

76317 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi (MBR)

C: Partition1 (Unknown) 76309 MB (76308 MB free)
Unpartitioned space 8 MB

I'm not sure what is best to do here.

''C: Partition1 (Unknown) 76309 MB (76308 MB free)'' is highlighted....

Help would be much appreciated if possible.

take hard drive to computer shop ,get them to save your pictures and stuff and then format and reload windows!all i can say

Hello everyone

I have read through this whole forum a couple of times. A lightning strike near my house yesterday sent my computer spinning in this mode. I'm almost positive I have Windows XP Home edition on the computer, but this computer was made many years ago and do not have that original disc. I have a Windows XP Pro disc here to run recovery mode. When I boot from the disc and go to recovery mode, I'm getting that list of options, and like everyone else, I'm doing CHKDSK. Here's the catch: When I run chkdsk it doesn't actually fix anything. It says "chkdsk found one or more errors on the volume" but doesn't say it fixed anything. I type EXIT and my computer restarts, and I've looped to the same "we apologize..." screen. Is it maybe that I have a Pro disc instead of Home? Or is it maybe a hardware issue and CHKDSK cannot resolve it?

Okay, after writing this, I turned around to look at my other computer, and somehow it worked, even though the chkdsk didn't say it fixed anything! OMG! I'm so happy.

Hello everyone

I have read through this whole forum a couple of times. A lightning strike near my house yesterday sent my computer spinning in this mode. I'm almost positive I have Windows XP Home edition on the computer, but this computer was made many years ago and do not have that original disc. I have a Windows XP Pro disc here to run recovery mode. When I boot from the disc and go to recovery mode, I'm getting that list of options, and like everyone else, I'm doing CHKDSK. Here's the catch: When I run chkdsk it doesn't actually fix anything. It says "chkdsk found one or more errors on the volume" but doesn't say it fixed anything. I type EXIT and my computer restarts, and I've looped to the same "we apologize..." screen. Is it maybe that I have a Pro disc instead of Home? Or is it maybe a hardware issue and CHKDSK cannot resolve it?

run this ,"chkdsk /r" without the 2 "

I'm having the same problem with windows xp. I can't get to restore or run or any other window. Any help would be great.

I'm having the same problem with windows xp. I can't get to restore or run or any other window. Any help would be great.

almost 4 yr old thread ,there must be something in one of the post to help you with your problem

When Windows XP tries to load, I get the following message: "We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this." My options are:

Start in safe mode.
Safe mode with networking.
Safe mode with command prompt.
Start Windows normally.

Note: I can start windows in safe mode, but I don’t know what to look for or how to troubleshoot the problem. I did a scan for viruses and spy ware using McAfee and Ad Aware. McAfee didn’t find any viruses, but Ad Aware found some cookies and other files, I removed them, and didn’t make a difference, I still get same message. I also did a disk cleanup and defragmenter my hard drive and still no difference.

If I select Start Windows Normally, it tries to load windows again, and it ends up at same place, it just goes in cycles. I tried to restore to a couple save points and it does not make a difference. Please advice!

Thanks in advance,

Luis

help me please

help me please

you'll have to say more that that to get help! details please

I cant even use safe mode what should i do please help

Hi RUSO1992.

First of all- welcome to Daniweb :).

We ask that members not piggy-back questions on to a thread previously started by another member here in the Viruses, Spyware & other Nasties forum, (regardless of how similar your problem might seem). Not only does it divert the focus of the thread away from the original poster's problem, but it also makes it less likely that you yourself will get the individual attention that you need.

Please start your own thread and post your question there. When you do, please try to give us as much specific info as possible regarding the problem (exact error messages, system specs, etc.).

For a full description of our posting guidelines and general rules of conduct, please see this page:

http://www.daniweb.com/forums/faq.php?faq=daniweb_policies

Thanks for understanding.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.