By some twist of fate, I got into the BIOS and changed my boot disc sequence, disabled my floppy to eliminate a problem the startup sequence says that I have and with the XP Pro CD in my CD-RW drive...Windows Setup started.

Setup went through several inspections and offered to format my new 320GB HDD so I let it.
Setup advised me that it had formatted 2 partitions 1 @100 GB and 1@ 200 GB.

Then, it went on to load files. Finished loading files and said now we're going to restart your computer. Off it went and rebooted to the HDD recognition screen, the SCSI BIOS install screen and everything was fine until the "SCSI BIOS Successful" screen showed up.

The next screen has the following message:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
Please reinstall a copy of the above file."

If I touch any key, the machine reboots and goes through the exact same sequence as described above...over and over and over.

Any suggestions?

johnd

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Is it a original XP disk,have you used it b4.if not try another XP disk.It might just happen that the disk do not contain all the files (???????????)

Is it a original XP disk,have you used it b4.if not try another XP disk.It might just happen that the disk do not contain all the files (???????????)

OK.
It is a new disc. I think I have it solved. Finished the installation and got it to boot off the E drive. Now I can't rename the drive to C. Seems that's a no no for windows.

Thanks for the reply.

johnd

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.