I have been a visitor here for a while and impressed with your assistance to everyone and the wealth of info here. I am sorry that I am now needing assistance myself. I hope someone can find the time to help me.

I am need of assistance on a blue screen hard stop. I have been trying for a couple of days to resolve it with no luck. I have most likely made the situation worse.

My system is a 3 y/o IBM Netvista with one meg memory and an 80GB hard drive. I have a Viewsonic A75F Monitor, a USB (cannon) scanner and a USB Lexmark ink jet. I am on a cable hook up to the net.

I have not had any problems in over a year. This last weekend my grandson wanted to down load AIM from AOL. I didn't want to do it but he said that all his buddys used it now instead of the messenger he had. I caved in and told him to d/l it and to scan it with our virus program and our trojan program before opening. He did so and used the new program for about an hour.

We are the only users on this system. I can't get to his desktop in Safe Mode to check and or uninstall anything.

I ran the virus and trojan programs Sat. and also Reg mechanic to clean up some entries of deleted videos, ect. At that time I also went into Device Manager and changed the time out for my monitor from 20 min to 10 min in the power manager section. Thats all that changed since I had did a restart the previous Sat. (I do one restart each week). I did my restart this time and got the blue screen stop message:

0X0000007E (0XC0000005,0X80531A00,0XF7B2A7AC,0XF7B2A4AC

No mention of any thing else.

I have doubts I have a virus or such, don't know about the power change.
I tried to go back to a earlier working config (a couple of them).
I used a Program called ERDNT and restored an earlier backup.
I restored a backup from my Register Mechanic program.
I looked at the event logs and they give no real clue except for one that says the file system structure is corrupt and unuseable and to run chkdsk.
I went to safe mode and ran chkdsk from a dos prompt and it ran ok, no errors. I just ran "chkdisk" alone without any parameters because I am unfamiliar with this program. So I need a little help with that if possible.

I ran Diagnostics against the drive with no failures after running it about two hours solid (PC Doctor). The drive is about a year old. Maxtor ATA drive.

One thing I noticed when I was looking through the device manager is under, system-hardware- my monitor is not listed. In fact "Monitor" is not on the list of devices. There were no explanation marks or other highlighted areas or errors that I could find, just no monitor listed.

If I go to "Display" in the Control Panel, it shows the default monitor in use.

I have most likely left something out, I'm a little frazzled by this and the fact that I have been messing with it on and off for three days.
I am also flustrated that even if there is no proof I am suspecting that AIM (and or an embedded virus) has something to do with this.

Anyway, thats my story and I'm stuck with it.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appriciated.

Papa Ray01

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Hello,

I am wondering if there is something wrong with your video drivers. I did a search on your error, and found a lot of talk about Windows XP not working properly. If you want to read about it:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330182

Anyways, as safemode works, you might be able to go in there, and uninstall your video card, or re-install it. I think the problem is in your video. Not sure what you did or how it happened, but you may be able to recover your system and go from there.

I doubt AIM did this to you.

Good luck,

Christian

Thanks so much for your reply.

Yes, video does come to mind. Mainly because I have no entry for "Monitor" in Devices under Control Panel.

Reguarding the video. The video on this system is on the system board. I have no "Video Card". I ran PC Doctor against this, with no failures or comments. Of course this checks only hardware and not really the BIOS or software. The BIOS on this system is current, I updated it about a year ago and there are no new updates (except for one, which is not applicable).

Anyway, its been working great without problems for this past year. I don't make or add much to this system in the first place and have made NONE in the last year. (escept for the AIM, that I have already mentioned).

I don't install anything but MS security updates and at SP1 I am happy and not planning to go to SP2 anytime in the near future (too many problems with it according to all I can gather on the net).

Back to the video, I reloaded the drivers for the Viewsonic Monitor I have and it didn't change the problem. This is the same drivers I have been using, not updated or new ones. They are the ones on the CD that came with the monitor.

Since my video adapter is on the system board I can not change it without replacing the "MotherBoard". Since the warranty has expired, I can't replace the MB as I can't afford to do so at this time. Besides I think this is driver related and/or software related.

I am still concerned about the one system event error about the disk drive. The corrupted data. As I said, I ran CHKDSK, but without any parameters.
I wonder if I should run /f with it but have seen warnings that this might cause problems in doing so.

Again, thanks for your support and your time.

Paparay01

Well, I made two neat discoverys this afternoon.

One is my OEM CDs don't give me any option to repair or do anything but format and reload the system.

The second, I can't really run CHKDSK. If I try with the /r parameter it says that the volume is being used and it will have to do it on the next reboot.

Of course, it never runs because the hard stop happens first.

I tried to run SFC/scannow from the command box and it says that
the RPC server is unavailable, but if I look in Services, one is available and the other won't start manually in Safe mode.

I am at a loss as what to do next. I have no friends that are running XP that I can borrow a "Real" MS CD from.

Any assistance would be appriciated.

Papa Ray

Thanks so much for your reply.

Yes, video does come to mind. Mainly because I have no entry for "Monitor" in Devices under Control Panel.

Reguarding the video. The video on this system is on the system board. I have no "Video Card". I ran PC Doctor against this, with no failures or comments. Of course this checks only hardware and not really the BIOS or software. The BIOS on this system is current, I updated it about a year ago and there are no new updates (except for one, which is not applicable).

Anyway, its been working great without problems for this past year. I don't make or add much to this system in the first place and have made NONE in the last year. (escept for the AIM, that I have already mentioned).

I don't install anything but MS security updates and at SP1 I am happy and not planning to go to SP2 anytime in the near future (too many problems with it according to all I can gather on the net).

Back to the video, I reloaded the drivers for the Viewsonic Monitor I have and it didn't change the problem. This is the same drivers I have been using, not updated or new ones. They are the ones on the CD that came with the monitor.

Since my video adapter is on the system board I can not change it without replacing the "MotherBoard". Since the warranty has expired, I can't replace the MB as I can't afford to do so at this time. Besides I think this is driver related and/or software related.

I am still concerned about the one system event error about the disk drive. The corrupted data. As I said, I ran CHKDSK, but without any parameters.
I wonder if I should run /f with it but have seen warnings that this might cause problems in doing so.

Again, thanks for your support and your time.

Paparay01

hi there, I have exactly the same problem occuring in the last day or so. Did you solve it ? Also "monitor" is not being listed anymore in device manager. Tried uninstalling, re-install of my radeon 7500 PCI video card as well. Reading in properties as default monitor like yours.My problem started mysteriously upon a normal boot....prior to that no serious issues at all for a year or more ......really appreciate the feedback......

I have had the same problem today. I have accessed the recovery console via XP install disk and I am currently running chkdsk /r

I will let u know the outcome

Running chkdsk found several bad files and repaired them but did not solve the problem. Using XP installation disk I am running repair the installation option.

No go seems registry is corrupted so only one this to reinstall the o/s:sad:

hey guys,
i too have the same problem now but it all hqappened because of installing and uninstalling the norton 2006..and system became very slow and ultimately it gave me this mess after a few days..so is it a s/w prob or a hardware.

Hi PCTech2, and chase247

We ask that members not tag their questions on to a thread previously started by another member (regardless of how similar your problem might seem). Not only does it divert the focus of the thread away from the original poster's problem, but it also makes it less likely that you yourself will get the individual attention that you need.

Please start your own thread and post your question there (If you still have a question). When you do, please try to give us as much specific info as possible regarding the problem (exact error messages, system specs, etc.).

For a full description of our posting guidelines and general rules of conduct, please see this page:

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforum..._faq#faq_rules

Thanks for understanding.

As the member who originally started this thread has not responded in more than a year, this thread is considered abandoned and has been closed.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.