I keep getting the error message saying Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

I already looked http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread8886.html and it still didn't fix it

heres my info and problem

I have Windows XP Home Edition
My Computer is an hp pavilion zv6130us
-AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+ 2.0 GHz and 512KB L2 Cache
-80Gb (4200RPM) Hard Drive
-512MB Memory
-Microsoft Windows XP Home Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies

Leading up to this, my cmd prompt and regedit would open then close automatically about a half/second after opening so i was trying to fix this and i forget why but i went to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223188 and followed the instructions. I downloaded a backup from http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_emerutils.htm and from http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/199762382617?OpenDocument&src=sec_doc_nam before i messed with the Registry. Then I got stuck at the Windows XP screen, so then i tried to start my PC in safemode, Last Known Configuration, and Start Windows Normally. None worked so i put in my Windows XP disk and tried repairing by typing-

md tmp
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

All of them worked except copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system wasnt able to be copied at the end. It said the system cannot find the file specified.

And now im getting a black screen with a message saying Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

Also I ran chkdsk /p and it said chkdsk found one or more errors on the volume

Ive tried everything and looked everywhere trying to fix this, i got stuff on my pc i really need back, you guys are my last hope.

Thanks

Could you be more clear at "copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system wasnt able to be copied at the end". I mean the message of command. Try to copy the same file from another windows OS by DOS or another OS.
Find out the same file (system file) in temp directory, prefetch directory or pchealth directory.
Sya!!

how do i copy the same file from another OS by DOS, i dont know where to find the same file im not that good with PCs.

You can find a same file like "system" in another computer which has windows OS or try to find on internet. If you have any windows cd, it is easier (in cd's directory or in *.cab). Cause you use command "copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system" but it failed, i think your disk has some problems.
Anyway, try to check your system files with DOS or Linux (CD boot), it's really useful.
Del the same file in temp, prefetch and pchealth directory to prevent false message.
Sya!

You can find a same file like "system" in another computer which has windows OS or try to find on internet. If you have any windows cd, it is easier (in cd's directory or in *.cab). Cause you use command "copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system" but it failed, i think your disk has some problems.
Anyway, try to check your system files with DOS or Linux (CD boot), it's really useful.
Del the same file in temp, prefetch and pchealth directory to prevent false message.
Sya!

i got the system file off this computer now how do i get it to my other computer do i put it on a blank cd and boot from the blank cd?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.