HP Officejet R 80 printer/fax/scanner worked just fine until I upgraded to XP SP2.

Printer works, but scanner does not...saw some info indicating that the drivers were not SP2 compatible. Searched quite a bit and cannot locate SP2 drivers for scanner.

Anyone?

Thanks, Carrie

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lang=en&lc=en&cc=us&docname=bpu01853&lang=en&cc=us

The above link recommends that you do not use the software supplied on the CD. Use drivers built into XP.

After having updated XP to sp2 and then added R80 to the PC I'm not able to scan. The FAX and printer work fine. It apperars that XP is not aware that the scanner is there.

If I try to go back and add R80 as a scanner using the "Add Harware Wizard", XP is able to identify R80 but indicates specified port unknown. R80 is installed on the printer port.

Any advice is appreciated.

Do you understand how to access 'BIOS setup' on your system?

Have a hunt arount in there and locate the entry for 'Printer Port'. You should have various settings available, and it's be best to try some others. You need a 'duplex' setting for that printer/fax/scanner, so if the port is set to 'LPT' then it won't work properly.

I'm not sure which setting will be the best to use on your particular system and for that particular machine, but it'll be one of these:

ECP
EPP
EPP plus ECP

Try this:

* Uninstall the printer/fax/scanner by right-clicking its entry in the Control panel applet and choosing 'Delete', and also uninstalling any driver software from 'Add/Remove Programs.
* Make a change to the setting in BIOS setup
* Reboot and let the printer port be redetected and reinstalled
* Reinstall the printer/fax/scanner and see if it works.

Repeat that procedure for the other available settings in BIOS setup, and you should find the best one for your combination of equipment. A similar problem used to occur for many people who used parallel printers and scanners hooked up in a 'daisy-chain' configuration, and I see quite a likelihood that this is also the problem with your equipment.

"How do I do that BIOS Setup thing?"

Do you understand how to access 'BIOS setup' on your system?

Have a hunt arount in there and locate the entry for 'Printer Port'. You should have various settings available, and it's be best to try some others. You need a 'duplex' setting for that printer/fax/scanner, so if the port is set to 'LPT' then it won't work properly.

I'm not sure which setting will be the best to use on your particular system and for that particular machine, but it'll be one of these:

ECP
EPP
EPP plus ECP

Try this:

* Uninstall the printer/fax/scanner by right-clicking its entry in the Control panel applet and choosing 'Delete', and also uninstalling any driver software from 'Add/Remove Programs.
* Make a change to the setting in BIOS setup
* Reboot and let the printer port be redetected and reinstalled
* Reinstall the printer/fax/scanner and see if it works.

Repeat that procedure for the other available settings in BIOS setup, and you should find the best one for your combination of equipment. A similar problem used to occur for many people who used parallel printers and scanners hooked up in a 'daisy-chain' configuration, and I see quite a likelihood that this is also the problem with your equipment.

"How do I do that BIOS Setup thing?"

Appreciate your help - works like a champ
Kent12

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.