I have not long recently changed my windows password for XP. I went to log on the other day but forgot my password. This account has admin privileges. Luckily I created another account called guest which has basic privileges so I can still use the internet and stuff. But i still dont have the ability to change the password for the administartor account i want to get into. This account has all my files on it.

I have downloaded various password recovery utilities but as i go to install them they ask me to log out then log back in as administrator, which i cant.

I dont have a windows cd, because my computer came pre-loaded with windows XP.

I am stuck - please help me. :mad:

Either reply here or email me <snip>

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

well. what you can do is try booting into SAFE mode.
If this is the pro edition it will come up with a dialog for the username just type administrator and leave the pw empty.
if this is the home edition it will let you choose from either owner or admin, try both and see what happens. If it lets you log in you will be able to change to change the pw.

I have not long recently changed my windows password for XP. I went to log on the other day but forgot my password. This account has admin privileges. Luckily I created another account called guest which has basic privileges so I can still use the internet and stuff. But i still dont have the ability to change the password for the administartor account i want to get into. This account has all my files on it.

I have downloaded various password recovery utilities but as i go to install them they ask me to log out then log back in as administrator, which i cant.

I dont have a windows cd, because my computer came pre-loaded with windows XP.

I am stuck - please help me. :mad:

Either reply here or email me fisharemylife@hotmail.com

Try this:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_passwords.htm

nah when i restart in safe mode, it hangs after about one minute. i leave it for about one hour - just to see if anything happens, but no result. i have to restart and keep using my guest account. my edition of XP is the home edition.

I'm hoping the following information wont be used for bad purposes...

Try this program (free downloadable trial version available).

Proactive Windows Security Explorer™ (PWSEX™) is a password security test tool that's designed to allow Windows® NT, Windows® 2000, Windows® XP and Windows Server 2003-based systems administrators to identify and close security holes in their networks.

http://www.elcomsoft.com/pwsex.html

I used this program for a friend once and it took just under a minute. Although his password was very short.

i have already downloaded pwsex, but i cant use it unless i have admin privileges.

Use a remote machine on a network (if you have one).

Or ask a very, very good friend to do it via the internet.

please help me

Try this when you are at the logon screen press ctrl+alt+del as many time as possible you will get a dialog logon screen. On the user text box type 'Administrator' (without the '') and Press Enter no passowrds. Try that first and see.

If you forgot administrator password combinations, you usually have two choices. You can completely reinstall the Windows operating system or you can reformat the hard drive of the computer. Both options are time-consuming. Both options are going to erase a great deal of data and settings that are probably needed. Both options will set you back, cause frustration, and end up being some of the efficient ways to handle the problem.
The good news is you may not have to worry about picking between those two bad options any more. A third option is available and could be a lifesaver in these types of situations.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.