Computer with P4 2.8 & Win XP was running fine until yesterday. Then it would not start. We pulled plug, replugged and it started. Today it will not start at all. All power to computer is fine and a green light comes on near the start up button.

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

- Have you had any recent power outages, surges, etc. lately?

- Have you checked inside the computer? Are the fans running? Are all cards and cables firmly seated? Do you see (or smell) any signs of damaged/blown circuitry or other hardware? Do the drives sound like they at least try to spin up, or not?

- Does the computer emit any beeps when you try to start it up? If so, describe the pattern/sequence of the beeps.

- Remove any PCI cards (network card, modem, sound card, etc.) one by one. Will the computer boot whenone of those cards is not installed in the system?

- If you have more than 1 RAM module installed, test the modules by installing each one individually and attempting to boot. If the computer fails to boot only when a certain RAM module is installed, replace that module.

- If you have (and know how to use) a voltmeter, check the internal power connection points to make sure the motherboard, drives, etc. are all getting good power.

Thanks for the response..

It is possible that we have had power outages.

No fans are running, everything looks and feels seated firmly. No burnt smells, no sign of drives working.

No beeps... I'll try the cards one by one..

Only 1 RAM installed

I may have access to a voltmeter..

I'll get back with ya.. thanks again!

OK- keep us posted...

I took the cards out one by one and it still did not start up. I replaced the cards. I noticed that the cpu fan barely moved when I booted. I took out the cpu and replaced it. Now the system seems to turn on and the fans move but nothing shows on the monitor.

The fan on the power supply isn't working

I think it is the power supply.. If the power supply's fan is not splinning.... but if it is then i would think it is a motherboard issue.... or a video card if you have one..

Thanks! (The end of the beginning?... I like that) he he

The beginning lol

I think it is the power supply..

upcsue,

You said you might have access to a voltmeter. If so, it would be worth checking the DC feeds from your power supply to see if you at least have the proper voltages on each connector. Do the test with everything connected just make sure that still get good voltage levels under full load.

im having almost the same prob. when i turn on my laptop the lights and fan come on but have no beep sound and nothing on the screen (blank) its a toshiba tecra 8100. any suggestions? thanks

Hi myaspop007,

First of all- welcome to DaniWeb :)

We ask that members not tag their questions on to a thread previously started by another member (regardless of how similar your problem might seem). Not only does it divert the focus of the thread away from the original poster's problem, but it also makes it less likely that you yourself will get the individual attention that you need.

Please start your own thread and post your question there. When you do, please try to give us as much specific info as possible regarding the problem (exact error messages, system specs, etc.).

For a full description of our posting guidelines and general rules of conduct, please see this page:

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/faq.php?faq=daniweb_policies

Thanks for understanding.

Due to the fact that the member who originally started this thread has not responded in quite a long time, this thread is considered abandoned and has been closed.

In accordance with our posting rules, other members having similar problems should start their own threads and post their questions there. In order to help us help you most quickly, please include as much information about your problem as possible in your posts.

If the member who originally started this thread wishes to have the thread reopened, please send your request, including a link to this thread, to one of our moderators via email or Private Message.

Thank you.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.