when i open internet explorer i always get page cannot be displayed. i press refresh and it opens - then some pages will open while others give me the same message. i have windows xp and am on dsl modem. i have deleted temp files and have run spybot - still no help. i tried adaware but then it said it was connected to the internet but couldnt open any pages or my email. can anyone help me?
thanks

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

The status bar for web pages, when maximized is down by the start button. Pay close attention to what's going on there. Gives a lot of info.
Something I have just recently done, because I got sick and tired of spyware, is switch to Firefox. http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/
Basically all spyware is aimed at Internet Explorer. Don't use Internet Explorer and you don't get spyware.
The switch seemed a bid goofy at first but once you discover the extensions, add ons and themes, it is so much better .... and safer.

HI,

I have also just started having this problem. I am seraching for a solution also. It also causes webapplications to fail like launching a movie or audio file from a new website. I can't refresh this function so it fails. All sites are accesible by hitting refresh. I have also got another problem at the same time in windows MCE that might be related. I have been told to make sure my time and date settings are correct. Have yet to try out. I'll keep you posted.

thanks

Alan

when i open internet explorer i always get page cannot be displayed. i press refresh and it opens - then some pages will open while others give me the same message. i have windows xp and am on dsl modem. i have deleted temp files and have run spybot - still no help. i tried adaware but then it said it was connected to the internet but couldnt open any pages or my email. can anyone help me?
thanks

Try the following: Go to start, choose Run, type cmd. In the black box that shows up type the following: netsh winsock reset catalog .
Restart your computer,

thanks

It was driving me crazy also , except I used mostly Firefox. In advanced settings on IE , I just clicked restore defaults and IE and Fox have stopped having the problem........I hope it stays that way.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.