Hello good folks at Daniweb !!!!!!
I have a Dell Dimention 2350 , Windows XP Home edition, SP2.
The computer just shuts down at time without error messages. I can be on the net or running any program. Then it just restarts as if I I pushed the start button. A few times , when it restarted, it loaded me into the page that you get when you tap F8 at startup.
I think it's clean from viruses. I have run Spybot and SuperAnti Spyware and AVG.
It has ZoneAlarm for a firewall and runs AVG antivirus. When I opened the inside of the case, it was very clean. No dust on the "fins" or any dust buildup anywhere. I ran PCPitstop and it said 3 drivers were out of date and I believe that I have updated 2 out of 3 of them.
I installed Advanced WindowsCare V2 Personal to see if that would help, but it didn't.
I also installed SpeedFan 4.34, to see if I could get a reading on how hot the processor was but I couldn't get the program to show the temp. All it would show was the fan rpm.
I don't know what else to check or download. Any and ALL help is much appreciated !!!
I did download an updated driver for the graphics controller, just because PCPitStop said it needed it. Itwas an Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics controller, and I got it from Dell downloads. After doing that PCPitStop still says that I need to update that driver, along with a mouse driver and an Intel(r) AC"97 Audio Controller.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Hello good folks at Daniweb !!!!!!
I have a Dell Dimention 2350 , Windows XP Home edition, SP2.
The computer just shuts down at time without error messages. I can be on the net or running any program. Then it just restarts as if I I pushed the start button. A few times , when it restarted, it loaded me into the page that you get when you tap F8 at startup.
I think it's clean from viruses. I have run Spybot and SuperAnti Spyware and AVG.
It has ZoneAlarm for a firewall and runs AVG antivirus. When I opened the inside of the case, it was very clean. No dust on the "fins" or any dust buildup anywhere. I ran PCPitstop and it said 3 drivers were out of date and I believe that I have updated 2 out of 3 of them.
I installed Advanced WindowsCare V2 Personal to see if that would help, but it didn't.
I also installed SpeedFan 4.34, to see if I could get a reading on how hot the processor was but I couldn't get the program to show the temp. All it would show was the fan rpm.
I don't know what else to check or download. Any and ALL help is much appreciated !!!
I did download an updated driver for the graphics controller, just because PCPitStop said it needed it. Itwas an Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics controller, and I got it from Dell downloads. After doing that PCPitStop still says that I need to update that driver, along with a mouse driver and an Intel(r) AC"97 Audio Controller.

It's got to where now, I can't run a full scan with AVG without it shutting off. And, it's rebooting MORE into the F8 screen, giving me the options of Safemode and more.

go into safe mode with networking and try running antivirus program...make sure the virus database is updated..

Also go to control panel>system properties, click the advanced tab & go to Start up & Recovery settings & make sure the Automatically Restart checkbox under system failure is unchecked. That will usually let you see a blue screen upon system failure so you can get the error message. That may give you a clue as where to start.

Also go to control panel>system properties, click the advanced tab & go to Start up & Recovery settings & make sure the Automatically Restart checkbox under system failure is unchecked. That will usually let you see a blue screen upon system failure so you can get the error message. That may give you a clue as where to start.

First off let me say that I had already checked that " AUTOMATIC RESTART " was already unchecked. I haven't yet got a BLUE SCREEN yet.
Second, we kicked in some overtime at work all of a sudden so please be patient with me as I do the things that are suggested to me, I am working on it . I got into safemode when I got home and started AVG . It started a scan with a blck background and white lettering and found just some tracking cookies, then it ended. While I'm still in Safemode I will also run Spybot Search & Destroy and go to bed and see if the computer has shut off while I sleep. I'll update more in the morning. Thank you both for your help !!!

I ran Spybot, AVG and defraged in SafeMode successfuly ! Then I went to normal mode. I ran defrag ok to see if it worked. Then I ran Dr Web antivirus cleaner and before it got half way done, the computer shut off. No warnings, no error messages, no blue screen.
Any more suggestions ?
Also, it runs a shorter period of time the longer it runs in normal mode. One time, it wouldn't restart in normal mode at all and only restarted to that page ya get when ya press F8 at startup.
When it starts shutting it's self off, after the second or third time, the computer gets to where it won't startup untill you shut it off for a while.
I figured if it was overheating , it would do that in Safemode also ???

I ran 3 programs in SAFEMODE and the computer runs fine in SAFEMODE. It ran all nite. I don't know what else to do.......any suggestions ?

I started to remove the power supply for this computer and replace it with another one to see if that might be my problem, when I noticed that the power selector switch was on 230v instead of 115v. Could that be the problem here ?

I guess everyone gave up on me. The computer is running fine now since the power supply was set on the right setting, (115v). Thanks to those who braved this situation !!!!!!
Closing !

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.