Hey
I turned my PC on today and got the following error

Windows could not start because the follwing file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original setup cd-rom...

I turned my pc off and then back on and the system booted as normal - all systems working

I now do not want to shut down my pc in case I get the above error as my windows xp home edition was pre installed in my pc and I do not have the original setup cd.

Any ideas on what to do to stop this error appearing again would be appreciated.
thanks

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

I turned my HP PC on yesterday, but nothing is visible on the screen. I changed the monitor, again it says no input. It may be mentioned that a few days ago I loaded XP proffessional in this computer. Now what to do or how to fix the problem?

jahmed1971 Please start your own thread.
When you do post please give the following info:-
1. Do you have a video card or is your video through your motherboard?
2. What is your PC?
3. Has it worked since you installed XP?
4. What lights are displayed on your PC? (everywhere)
5. What fans are working?
6. Any other information that you think could help someone here know what is happening there.

Being windows, it could run forever and you mqay never have any trouble again or, as is most likely, you will find you have to repair of re-load windows in a short time. If you do not have a XP cd you will have to buy a new one.
I have offered below some checks that may help but be warned they may cause your PC to act up or may require you to insert your XP CD.

Check Disk

1. Right click your disk drive icon (normally “C”),
2. Click “Properties.”
3. Click “Tools”
4. In “Error checking” click “Check Now”
5. Check the 2 boxes, “Automatically fix file system errors” and “Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors”
6. Click “Start”
7. At the pop-up window “The disk check could not……” Click “Yes”
8. Re-boot your PC and allow disk checker to start. (Do not press any key before it starts)
Verify Window’s Files

1. Go “START”, “RUN” type “CMD” Press “OK” or Boot PC into “safe mode with command prompt”
2. Type sfc /scannow /f (note:- space after sfc)
3. Windows file protection will check your files. Follow any prompts; you may be required to use your XP CD.
4. Re-boot your PC
System Restore

1. Go “Start”
2. “All programs”
3. “Accessories”
4. “System tools”
5. “System Restore”
6. Ensure “Restore to an earlier time” is checked and click “Next”
7. Select an earlier date when your PC worked well. (Must be a highlighted date)
8. Click “Next”
9. Allow system restore and reboot.
10. Check to see if problem still exists.

On-line Virus Scan

Go to one or all of these sites and do an online virus scan.

housecall.trendmicro.com

security.symantec.com

us.mcafee.com/root/mfs/default.asp

Check Malware

Go to http://www.besttechie.net/tools/mbam-setup.exe
and download and run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

Check Spyware

Go to www.safer-networking.org and download and run Spybot

Good luck.

Being windows, it could run forever and you mqay never have any trouble again or, as is most likely, you will find you have to repair of re-load windows in a short time. If you do not have a XP cd you will have to buy a new one.
I have offered below some checks that may help but be warned they may cause your PC to act up or may require you to insert your XP CD.

Check Disk

1. Right click your disk drive icon (normally “C”),
2. Click “Properties.”
3. Click “Tools”
4. In “Error checking” click “Check Now”
5. Check the 2 boxes, “Automatically fix file system errors” and “Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors”
6. Click “Start”
7. At the pop-up window “The disk check could not……” Click “Yes”
8. Re-boot your PC and allow disk checker to start. (Do not press any key before it starts)
Verify Window’s Files

1. Go “START”, “RUN” type “CMD” Press “OK” or Boot PC into “safe mode with command prompt”
2. Type sfc /scannow /f (note:- space after sfc)
3. Windows file protection will check your files. Follow any prompts; you may be required to use your XP CD.
4. Re-boot your PC
System Restore

1. Go “Start”
2. “All programs”
3. “Accessories”
4. “System tools”
5. “System Restore”
6. Ensure “Restore to an earlier time” is checked and click “Next”
7. Select an earlier date when your PC worked well. (Must be a highlighted date)
8. Click “Next”
9. Allow system restore and reboot.
10. Check to see if problem still exists.

On-line Virus Scan

Go to one or all of these sites and do an online virus scan.

housecall.trendmicro.com

security.symantec.com

us.mcafee.com/root/mfs/default.asp

Check Malware

Go to http://www.besttechie.net/tools/mbam-setup.exe
and download and run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

Check Spyware

Go to www.safer-networking.org and download and run Spybot

Good luck.

thanks for your reply - I have done the above as suggested and I have also used the Windows Live One care tool to scan my system - this scan showed the registry had an issue and has fixed it. My system is starting up with no issues (for how long who knows!!)
Can you recommend anywhere to buy a new xp cd at a good price??
thanks
P

There are two options. You can download a copy from a torrent site, to the best of my knowledge (and what I've read of the EULA) there's nothing illegal about this if you use a valid product key that you own and leave the sticker affixed to the system.

You can also buy OEM media kits that just have the install CD's with no key included. Haven't seen them around in a while, but they do exist.

Borrow it from a friend, as long as you use your key there's nothing wrong with it.

There's probably an OEM restore disk (if there's not they can usually be ordered from the company pretty easily and inexpensively) but most of those disks will wipe your hard drive, so you need to back everything up. Which is a good idea anyway if you're having problems with there systems.

You are very welcome, please mark this thread as solved.

P.S. The thoughts of the earlier poster are not mine and I would not advise you to download any pirated software, especially, windows.
When windows site supplies a copy of windows to download and lets you use your serial number and hell freezes, go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.