I have installed XP on this machine numerous times but this time I'm stuck. There are 3 disks: 1 is partitioned as Linux/NTFS. Linux boots OK while NTFS contains the necessary chipset, LAN etc drivers. Disk 2 is Linux. Disk 3 (where I am trying to install) is recognised as the C: drive in setup and is seen as NTFS. Setup recognises this but then says it is not 'compatible with windows XP'. I let xp delete the partition and create a new one. Same result. I used Partition Magic to reformat and reset the partition to NTFS. This completed OK but still same result. I FORMATTED the disk using dos. No change. I ran fixmbr but no change and finally used PM to make the partition active. Nothing I do changes what setup sees - a primary NTFS partition that 'is not compatible'. Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Hi,
I would try removing the other drives and leaving the one drive you want to install windows on. Try your set-up again ad see how it goes then.
What do you get under "Disk Management" in "Computer Management"? (In case you don't know, access it by right clicking your "My Computer" icon (not shortcut) and clicking "Manage")

Bob,

Thanks for the response - it seems sensible to try this. I have one IDE and 2 SATA drives. I'll have to experiment to make sure I get the right drive out. Also - as I don't have and XP implementation (yet). I can't try the 'manage' command you suggest.

I'll post results when I can.

Paul

Are you trying to install WinXP on the IDE or SATA drive?

Frank

On the sata drive. Does that make a difference?

Thanks

Paul

There can be problems of where your sata with the OS is located but it should not be a concern to you with this problem but with 3 drives it could be later when trying to start one or the other OS.

you prolly need to add an extra line or two in the boot.cfg file that is used on your first drive. What boot loader are you using? Grub or Lilo?

But the problem is that he has not yet
installed winxp on his computer .
boot loader will show WinXP when it is installed.

OK guys you were right - disconnecting the other two disks let setup access the one disk left. I reinstalled but now with all 3 disks back in grub takes over the boot process and booting into windws from there produces:
rootverify(hd2,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1
savedefault

and then nothing.

ANy further ideas? sounds like a grub problem. Are there grub files I can (fix,edit or otherwise)? I can boot up Linux OK still.
Thanks

Paul

Gents

OK - looked at grub- thanks for the link.Although my dist is Debian and therfore different, it was a very useful hint. To sumarise, I tried to reinstall the linux bit and it ran into problems also so I re-installed windows over it thus erasing any 'grubby' problems. It now boot xp fine and am in the middle of rebuilding all that. I'm going to forget linux for now. Once I get a bit more familiar with it, I'll try again. Just for completness: The Linux dist is a special built package called 'studio to go' and is made for music recording. Here (UK) it cost GBP50.00 and contains an enormous amount of solid software, which, if you are familiar with Linux is a LOT easier to use. To replace this in windows would cost thousands.

Thanks for a;ll the help

Paul

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.