AMD 2700+
512 DDR 2700
Win XP Pro SP1

Hello people! - I am totally discouraged!

I have read every thread possible on this issue, on this forum, and elsewhere... still can't get my system up and running as it should.

When my system boots up, its CPU usage is at 100%. Killing svchost.exe (System) takes me to a normal CPU usage. I have noted that as svchost reaches about 55% cpu usage, the remainder is taken by lsass.exe.....

I do not have a virus, and have not had one (checks with Symantec AND McAfee tools) - the only one that tried to get in, and was caught beforehand by my Norton, was Dumaru. Activity Log shows deletion of file, and no infection. Changed the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Service recovery to "Restart the service", but no change. I have killed MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger to be on teh safe side, and applied the newly released MS Patch.

I have seen many threads on thsi issue, but none helped me so far - I have done my homework, and read possibly all of them... ANY help would be appreciated. I am wondering if reformatting the Drive would help, but I have seen on some forums it does not always... :-(

Does anyone out there have a clue? I don't. Many thanks for any help you could provide me with. :-)

Recommended Answers

All 46 Replies

(suggestion)Do a repair maybe bit rot has taken place

• Bit rot n. [common] Also bit decay. Hypothetical disease the existence of which has been deduced from the observation that unused programs or features will often stop working after sufficient time has passed, even if `nothing has changed'. The theory explains that bits decay as if they were radioactive. As time passes, the contents of a file or the code in a program will become increasingly garbled.

There actually are physical processes that produce such effects (alpha particles generated by trace radionuclides in ceramic chip packages, for example, can change the contents of a computer memory unpredictably, and various kinds of subtle media failures can corrupt files in mass storage), but they are quite rare (and computers are built with error-detecting circuitry to compensate for them). The notion long favored among hackers that cosmic rays are among the causes of such events turns out to be a myth; see the cosmic rays entry for details.The term software rot is almost synonymous. Software rot is the effect, bit rot the notional cause.

• I do a reinstall every 3 months,its just a habbit.
    www.BlackViper.com
    Are you sure you dont have a worm or a trojan do a trojan scan
commented: What does this have to do with anything? -7

(suggestion)Do a repair maybe bit rot has taken place

• Bit rot n. [common] Also bit decay. Hypothetical disease the existence of which has been deduced from the observation that unused programs or features will often stop working after sufficient time has passed, even if `nothing has changed'. The theory explains that bits decay as if they were radioactive. As time passes, the contents of a file or the code in a program will become increasingly garbled.

There actually are physical processes that produce such effects (alpha particles generated by trace radionuclides in ceramic chip packages, for example, can change the contents of a computer memory unpredictably, and various kinds of subtle media failures can corrupt files in mass storage), but they are quite rare (and computers are built with error-detecting circuitry to compensate for them). The notion long favored among hackers that cosmic rays are among the causes of such events turns out to be a myth; see the cosmic rays entry for details.The term software rot is almost synonymous. Software rot is the effect, bit rot the notional cause.

• I do a reinstall every 3 months,its just a habbit.
    Are you sure you dont have a worm or a trojan do a trojan scan

Thanks for the info - I am dead sure I do not have a virus/trojan...

Has it been awhile since you have done a repair or reinstall?
So you used a Trojan Scanner and nothing came up?

Has it been awhile since you have done a repair or reinstall?
So you used a Trojan Scanner and nothing came up?

Last reinstall was about 6 months ago. yes, I used a trojan scanner, and found nothing... My Hard disk is partitioned - easier to reinstall Windows, but it annoys me to do that without knowing what teh heck went wrong, and will it come back?...

Have ran tasklist, and matched the svchost as instructed. Narrowed down to PID 1296 - svchost.exe: eventsystem,fastuserswitchingcompatibility,netman,nla,sens,termservice,w32time,winmgmt

ANy further help would be appreciated. Thanks!

WOOHOOOOOO!!!!! Computer ius running fast, as it used to!!! Turned off Fast User Switcing Compatibility, and all is A-OK!!! Many thanks to a greta Techie-Team! You fols are the best! Many many thanks!!!

Did you disable it or just end it.Good thing you turned off that rescource HOGG www.BlackViper.com The dude is UBER you can make a custom registry folder so you can disable everything in one click of the button after a fresh reinstall...........later bra glad I(we) could help.

svchost.exe is a generic name used for different programs ,Run the command and see what program is releated to the one using all your cpu ,check here
http://www.grtg.org/stuff/computers...svchost_exe.php

I did but there's something wrong with the tasklist program in my comp.I have downloaded and saved that in D d drive and I see the icon of a win32 console application.If I try to run that application the command prompt automatically comes up and shows a list for 2/3 seconds then vanishes.Is this because I'm using panicware ? I have only one anti-virus called avg.I have downloaded the microsoft security patch for agobost -s and saved but even now my cpu is working 100%. :sad:

I have the same type of problem , and it appeared out from nowhere. A couple days ago my computer started lagging and I noticed my Cpu usage was 100%. But its not svchost.exe thats taking it up its the SYSTEM that takes up 99% of the cpu. Does anyone know how to fix this?

i have the same problem that always stays on 100% cpu and i tried many ways to fix it.. but it didn't work.. can someone help me?

please use the quick reply or new thread sumbody28
Yes this is a problem i am having. About 1 hour or so into logging onto windows
2000 pro i get lagg so i check to see what it is. And what do u know its my
system hoggin' all the fun at around 99% all the time. So i reboot and its been
this way for about a week im lookin into this all i can and still have no help
so if someone anyone give USE a hand......im going to look somemore so maybe ill
be back whit the answer!

Sumbody28

[img]http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/techtalk-images/reputation/reputation_neg.gif[/img]100% CPU Usage - No Vir...01-02-2004 12:48 AMWhat does this have to do with anything?
This person(MOD) obviously does not think outside the box. Bit Rot can happend jr.
What lamo gave this assignment out and didnt have the balls to even post his signature/handle............hmmm lets see he would have to be a Heavy Hitter To count for that much hmmmmmmmmm.......lets see who has the most points in the members list.(all MODS) Care to post your handle
QUOTE: From Leon the Professoinal
Im dying to know

Somone reported your post because they didn't agree with bit rot? That seems odd.. I mean I highly doubt it would be the first solution, but still no one should report it just for being put out there. After all... it is a solution nonetheless, and therefore a productive post. Hope they post their name next time.

[img]http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/techtalk-images/reputation/reputation_neg.gif[/img]100% CPU Usage - No Vir...01-02-2004 12:48 AMWhat does this have to do with anything?
This person(MOD) obviously does not think outside the box. Bit Rot can happend jr.
What lamo gave this assignment out and didnt have the balls to even post his signature/handle............hmmm lets see he would have to be a Heavy Hitter To count for that much hmmmmmmmmm.......lets see who has the most points in the members list.(all MODS) Care to post your handle
QUOTE: From Leon the Professoinal
Im dying to know

Sorry, it was me. However, I was sick when I gave that post a bad rep and I didn't really understand what you were saying. I just re-read it and I realize it was good info. I don't know why I gave it negative comments before?? I wasn't feeling good. Sorry dude!

Sorry, it was me. However, I was sick when I gave that post a bad rep and I didn't really understand what you were saying. I just re-read it and I realize it was good info. I don't know why I gave it negative comments before?? I wasn't feeling good. Sorry dude!

Really I doubt it was you, but I will take your word on it.My compass pointed somewhere dif according to the time and date. But thats not what seems wierd about this thread. I must have a memory like an elephant. Reason jjorgensen626 used to be in this thread he quoted my bit rot post and now his post are deleted. I wonder why? Ill remind all that he was on today.

No it really was me ;) LOL

I just had to edit my post.

Not true. This forum software works where when you guys delete a post - they're still in the database so I can still see them. And he didn't ever post in this thread.

I think we should just all get along and form a nice community instead of accusing each other of hating each other. :)

Not true. This forum software works where when you guys delete a post - they're still in the database so I can still see them. And he didn't ever post in this thread.

I think we should just all get along and form a nice community instead of accusing each other of hating each other. :)

Ok I see I believe I posted my bit rot statement a couple times if not more. It must have been a dif post.( I mean no will ill towards any here )

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/showthread.php?t=1317

OK, well, it looks like jjorgensen was saying good things about your post in that other thread :) soooo all is good

let's stop this rant ... and get back to helping everyone figure out why damn svchost.exe keeps going to 100% ... I have noticed this with video card drivers for some reason? Especially with AMD processors. This may sound weird but try upgrading video card drivers and DirectX.

Hi,
I have the same problem with svchost.exe using 100% cpu. I did have a virus , that names itself svchost.exe, but removed it and reformatted (twice) even the mbr!
but I have this thing happening, and I dont understand the instructions you gave to charma. Can you please tell me what the fast user switching is,and whatever he did to get pc running. using win xp pro.
Thanks

R U Using Office 2003?

I have a problem on my pc.
The cpu usage jump to 100% when I go to some website or play pc game like
FIFA2004. The pc automatically shut down after awhile if it maintain at 100%
for sometime...
I check the upu usage, when it jump to 100%, ard 99 to 100% is the
particular program (eg,ie or the game I play).
My pc system is above the system requirement of the game I play...
I really which I can play fifa...
My pc is using win xp, 2.0GB.256RAM...
Please help me, thanx

Its unlikely that your PC is shutting off because of 100% CPU usage. Its more likely that your PC is overheating and shutting off. Consider getting better cooling.

I've also seen firewalls cause this behavior...if svchost is trying to make a network share available and you have a firewall that's not setup to allow the server the machine thinks it should get the resource from you'll see svchost chewing up cpu time and horrid system response...this is only if there is a network connection available, try disabling your network connection if you're running a firewall and see if you still have problems.

Disable fast user switching from MS:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=279765

1. Log on to the computer as an administrator.
  2. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click User Accounts.
  3. Click Change the way users log on or off.
  4. If it is not already selected, click to select the Use the Welcome screen check box.

NOTE: The Use Fast User Switching check box is unavailable until you click to select the Use the Welcome screen check box.

5. Click to select the Use Fast User Switching check box, and then click Apply Options. Quit the User Accounts tool.

Ok...and I'll add a note for those of you in a domain schematic or who switch from the MSGINA or use Netware and fast.exe is still enabled:

go to Start-->Run-->msconfig head to the startup tab and uncheck "fast.exe" if it's checked or remove XP Powertoys if you're not using it.

About the "system" taking up 100%, check out this app...it breaks down system rather nicely: http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml

You can find processes that carry out their sloppy process handling under the name "system" and get an idea of what is chewing up processes and uninstall it if you don't need it.

For the reboots I'd be looking into a BIOS update as well as taking stock of any new devices/software installed...for software specifically VPN clients or apps that also install a device driver. I've seen ACPI cause some stuff random reboots but that would have been happening from the start so overheating would be a good guess. I had a situation with a Dell laptop where it kept shutting down for no reason and found out that the BIOS had been originally programmed for Pentium III specs which couldn't handle as much heat as the Pentium IV machines so...basically it was shutting down because it thought it was too hot but really was just not programmed with the correct specs for the new hardware...so, check out the BIOS if you didn't build that machine yourself.

One more thing you should add and that would be Disk Keeper also has that type of werid bug using 100% CPU usage without really you knowing about just a tip :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.