Hi all.

Im having a realy weird problem, nothing Ive never experienced before.
Installing OS's on computers has never realy giving be any big problems, but this one is driving me nuts.

I boot up using my WinXP cd. When its done with all the detecting/installing of all those controllers and such, it tells me to:

"To install Windows XP now, press ENTER"

This is where it all goes down the drain. When I press ENTER I get this message:

"Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer"

My only option now is to press "F3" to restart the system.

Here are the specs:

Motherboard: Asus K8V/SE Deluxe, K8T800
CPU: AMD Athlon64, 3000+
Harddrive: Maxtor +9 SATA, 80GB
RAM: Samsung DDR400, 512MB
GFX: Sapphire Radion 9800 Pro 128MB

Bios: AMIBIOS ver. 08.00.09

I have disabled the "Onboard Promise controller" because Im not gonna use RAID.

My boot setup is:

1.CDdrive
2.Harddrive

I have connected my SATA harddrive to the "SATA 1" interface on the motherboard.

What disturbes me is, the harddrive is detected when I boot up:

VIA VT8237 ATA RAID BIOS setting utility V2.01.

Scan Devices, Please wait......
Press < TAB > Key into user window!
Serial_ch0 Master: Maxtor 6Y080M0
Serial_ch1 Master: No Device

I think it is also detected in the AMIBIOS aswell, altho it doesnt say "Maxtor disk" as I would expect, but "VT6420 1st HDD".

Its not my intention to use RAID, yet it seems to me it gets detected by some "raid kind of" controller (VT8237). And if it is on some sort of raid controller it would probably explain why Windows doesnt detect a disk. I did not push "F6" to install any RAID software.

I wanted to make sure that the Maxtor disk was not damaged, so I tried using my own SATA disk, which already has winxp installed. It also found my disk, and I could boot up in windows. (well sorta...it ofcause had issues because of the OS having used all the hardware from the other comp, and naturally crashed)

But when I tried to install winxp on this disk, the setup program told me that no harddrives are installed

Im not sure what the problem is but im hoping that maybe one of you guys in here know whats wrong and can help me out.

Thx for reading all this.

Have a nice day.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

I did not push "F6" to install any RAID software.

But I think that's what you should do. I guess...
You have any diskettes with the SATA drivers? If not, download them. Can't tell you more, because I don't know more.

Michael

But I think that's what you should do. I guess...
You have any diskettes with the SATA drivers? If not, download them. Can't tell you more, because I don't know more.

Michael

I have no disk....so Ill have to download em.....I just dont know what files I need to download

Anyone know what files I need to download? Im not gonna use the raid controller. Would I be totally wrong if I tried downloading something for the VIA VT8237?

Been looking for files but they are like 6MB and wont fit on a floppy :(

Arrg google sata

with your mobo you have a S-ata floppy disk

when it asks you to press f5 to install 3rd party scuzi controller do it, then when it asks you broswe to the floppy and install it it will then detect it

HOW many times have i seen this question!!! google it, read your official windows XP CD

in less friendly forums you would be told to RTFM or Google.com.. it's sata being treated as non ide ok?

Also don't disable the raid thing

Got it to work now :D

Thx alot :)

Have you tried different jumper settings? Is this hard drive newly formatted?
If not, have you used this HD from another computer and directly transferred this to your computer? If this is the case, every computer has a different regsistry and although it worked fine on your old computer it won't necessarily work on another. Are you hooking up two hard drives (one being the HD you are having problems with?)
Try using Acronis drive cleanser to thouroughly wipe out your HD. FDISK doesn't format your drive 100% leaving some sub folders etc.
If you have trouble getting this software you can call me if you are in the NY tri-state area at 917.977.0899

Kevin

Hi all, i have the same problem but i am not as educated in the IT feild as u guys, so could someone please tell me where to download that MAXOR SATA driver and what it does exactly. I can search my self and have tried on google but i get downloads all about 11mb,

If anyone could help me i would be v.grateful. Thanks

Have you tried different jumper settings? Is this hard drive newly formatted?
If not, have you used this HD from another computer and directly transferred this to your computer? If this is the case, every computer has a different regsistry and although it worked fine on your old computer it won't necessarily work on another. Are you hooking up two hard drives (one being the HD you are having problems with?)
Try using Acronis drive cleanser to thouroughly wipe out your HD. FDISK doesn't format your drive 100% leaving some sub folders etc.
If you have trouble getting this software you can call me if you are in the NY tri-state area at 917.977.0899

Kevin

All who have this problem, and do not have a floppy disc for the SATA drivers should inspect their motherboard driver CD. The necessary files should be on the CD and can be copied to a boot floppy.

Those who don't have it there, or who have lost their motherboard installation CD, should download the appropriate drivers from the support or downloads section of the motherboard manufacturer's website, rather than download general purpose drivers from elsewhere.

In both circumstances, if you are having trouble fitting them on to floppy it will be because somewhere in the appropriate folder or download there will be document files which are not needed, probably in .rtf format. See this article for hints about how to deal with the situation:

http://www.pcuser.com.au/pcuser/hs2.nsf/web/9B56AE3271E9E6FCCA256E7D004B29CD

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.