I have Win XP Prof which unfortunately has turned out to be a counterfeit copy. I am experiencing losing my Broadband internet connection and am also unable to download all of Microsofts security updates.

Would my counterfeot software account for my problems.

Brent

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Hi,
Microsoft will not allow updates on a pirated copy of windows. Get a registered copy and someone will assist you with the internet connection, OK

Hi,
Microsoft will not allow updates on a pirated copy of windows. Get a registered copy and someone will assist you with the internet connection, OK

Ty Bob - I attend 2 do wot u suggest. But is the bum software a reason or part reason 4 loss of Internet connection & puter slowness?

Cheers

Hi again,
Most probably not. But you may have problems with windows and a registered copy could repair your problem. I could suggest other ways to check your problem if it still exists after you install a legal copy.
Please advise of your progress.

Will do - need to save some money in these troubled times

Brent

I have Win XP Prof which unfortunately has turned out to be a counterfeit copy. I am experiencing losing my Broadband internet connection and am also unable to download all of Microsofts security updates.

Would my counterfeot software account for my problems.

Brent

it is my opinion that the copy of xp has nothing to do with your losing the internet connection ,more likely a bad nic card or modem/router,even a bad cat45 cable

Hi Caperjack,
I am sorry but it is my understanding of the rules of this site that no help is afforded to anyone running illegal software. I did inform Brent that it was unlikly that his XP was the problem and that we would assist him to find the problem when he installed a legal copy of Windows.
Hi Brent,
I understand your problem with the cost of things and Microsoft do not make it any easier with the high cost of their software. As I said earlier, your copy of windows will probably not be the cause but by installing a legal copy you will be able to get the latest updates (SP3 and others) and if that will not fix your problem, someone here will assist you with many things you can try.
I am sure you can understand that any assistance given to users of illegal products would make anyone that assisted you (and this site), open to litigation by Microsoft.

sorry!

I am aware of rule and in no way was trying to get help to fix my situation and circumvent the counterfeit software. AS my question alluded; I was just wondering if it could be a reason . Cheers to all

I think caperjack is correct ,even if he did cross the line .

Hi CompUfuss,
Yes, Caperjack is correct as usual (you would be hard pressed to find a post where he has given incorrect information) and if you read all the posts, you will see that this is what I said to Brent earlier. His copy is probably not the problem but an update to SP3 "might" fix the fault, if not (and most probably not) someone here would assist him when he is using a legal copy of XP.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.