I'm at wit's end. I have a Sony VAIO rx-860, and have XP as the O/S.

Here's the issue. I tried to start up my computer this morning with no luck. It goes straight to a black screen that says that a software or hardware glitch may be the problem why windows was unable to successfully start. I can choose from:
safe mode, safe mode w/ network...the whole list.

No matter what I choose, the Window's XP screen comes on as if it's going to boot and then right back to the black screen with the message to choose a setup mode. No matter what, I get this.

I tried to do a system recovery but it won't work. I did exactly as I'm supposed to but all I get is that black screen...even with the recovery disks in place.

HELP!!!!

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Hi

Have you backed your data up anywhere else, because to me it sounds as like you have been hit with a virus that may well have corrupted the system load files and the only way that it can be repaired to my knowledge is to reformat the disk and start again.

I don't care about backing anything up at the moment. I had to totally restore everything not too long ago and it's better to be able to use the comp. rather than not too...

thanks though...I really appreciate it.

How do I fix it when the recovery cd's wont work?

Hi

I am not as familar with Xp, as i use 2000 but they are basically the same. Try inserting the installation CD and in that there should be a feature that should allow you to repair any faults within windows.

I thought that the recov. discs were the same thing...hmm...back to the disc cabinet! :lol:

Hi

Sorry you are right, i was a litle confused there. I am sorry but i dont think that i can help you, do you have a floppy disk drive?

Hi

Sorry forgot to say that the reason i ask that earlier question is because if you have a start up floppy disk then u might be able to get into MS-Dos that would help.
hope that i have been some help

I have the same problem with an ACER laptop. The recovery discs are of no use. Boots OK from CD, but when the 'restoration' is nearly finished, it crashes, alleging 'Error: partition not found'.

What is one suposed to do when the restoration kit cannot format the hard disc ?
With MSDOS, we had Fdisk, but now, most of us have not even a floppy disc drive.

Heeeellll -p !

Hey

I am sorry if i aint much help here though the only way to solve this, would be to contact Acer themselves coz without a floppy disk drive there are very few options open to fix this problem, as the Restoration Cd doesnt work

sorry if this is of little help

Mine will not start from any of the choices no matter which one you click on it acts like it is going to reboot goes right back to the black screen. I have the cd to restore but it says I will lose everything on my c: hard drive I have to many documents and pictures i don't won't to lose

Mine will not start from any of the choices no matter which one you click on it acts like it is going to reboot goes right back to the black screen. I have the cd to restore but it says I will lose everything on my c: hard drive I have to many documents and pictures i don't won't to lose

First start your own thread,This is a 6 year old thread and not too many forum members pay much attention to bumps of dead threads.
Then post details of your computer and the events leading up to the problem and what actions you have already tried to correct the problem and some one will be along to help you soon. Later---

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.