ok well i have a duel boot, and i decided to get rid of one of the boots and use that hard drive (2 hard drives too) for file storage. I put in the XP cd and tell it to delete the partition. It does it. I restart my comp figuring it would take mr right into the only remaining windows boot. I was wrong

It gave me some garbage about putting in a system disk. I had no choice but to reinstall XP onto the hard drive i had just deleted the partition of. And that is what i am operating off of now.

So is there something i need to do after i delete the partition? i mean what needs to be done so that i can just boot into my only remaining windows system, and use the other hard drive for file storage

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

ok well i have a duel boot, and i decided to get rid of one of the boots and use that hard drive (2 hard drives too) for file storage. I put in the XP cd and tell it to delete the partition. It does it.

-- try to format the HD that you have deleted, and also do a checking by using Fdisk to see which one are your setting active partition. :-|

Me being a novice and not wanting to format my #1 drive , just to be safe i would un hook drive #1,set drive# 2 as master ,and using a win98 boot disk i would fdisk and remove non dos partition ,create new dos partition and reboot and format the drive .Then re set it to primary slave or secondary master and hook the #1 drive up again and bootup and it should work .

Ok. First of all do you have two hard drives with a set of Windows on each? If you do the computer boots to the hard-drive that is connected to the Master side of the cable (cable |=====|==| ) the connection on the far left connects to the motherboard. The connecter in the middle connects to a slave hard-drive. The connecter on the far right connects to the Master side of the cable (hard-drive with the version of windows you want to boot.) If you want to boot from the other hard-drive You need to switch the connections. Also therei s a set of pins on the hard-driv next to the power and connection ports. The look sortof like ( |::: ) for master, ( :|:: ) for slave, ( ::|: ) for I think cable select. The hard-drive you want to boot from needs to have the ( |::: ) setting and the other one needs to have the ( :|:: ). THere are other ways of doing this with a program but currently I am still learning. I hope this helps you (at all :-| )

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.