So I've recently had some gaming issues, coming to the conclusion that I need to upgrade from my old integrated graphics chipset to a new video card.

My problem is I've been searching everywhere, been trying many different programs to try and find out what type of video card slot I have (I'm trying to avoid opening up my PC quite yet, although I know I'll have to do it to install my new graphics card).

I have Windows XP, and from what I've been able to gather, my motherboard is made by Asustek Computer Inc, and the model is Goldfish3 1.xx. I've ran programs that are supposed to say what kind of graphics card slot you have, but it always comes up with nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

So I've recently had some gaming issues, coming to the conclusion that I need to upgrade from my old integrated graphics chipset to a new video card.

My problem is I've been searching everywhere, been trying many different programs to try and find out what type of video card slot I have (I'm trying to avoid opening up my PC quite yet, although I know I'll have to do it to install my new graphics card).

I have Windows XP, and from what I've been able to gather, my motherboard is made by Asustek Computer Inc, and the model is Goldfish3 1.xx. I've ran programs that are supposed to say what kind of graphics card slot you have, but it always comes up with nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Hi Taffeta I was just wasting time while the boss watches the soaps when I came across your request so I had a little look around
most modern boards ie under 2 years old use pci express graphics slots however some asus boards & i'm guessing here that it's probably a gl8e board with an internal intel 915 express chipset did not install a graphics slot in which case you cant upgrade without replacing the system pcb, NOTE there is a lot of guesswork on my part here as the info you gave is skimpy & the only way to be sure is remove the case or side panel & have a look the graphics slots are 99% of the time are nearest the CPU if you are still not sure look for a model no on the system board it will be something like 5188-3239 then check on the Asus site. hope this is a help.
Regards Nigel

I opened up my PC and found what I'm pretty sure are regular PCI slots: http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b197/Chel182/LeLe/OtherFORREALS/IMG_1798.jpg
And, if those are PCI slots, what's that inserted in the bottom one, since every program I had said I have no graphics cards?

But anyway, from what I've gathered, regular PCI slots are not used nearly as often as PCIe or AGP slots.

Does anyone know if any of these video cards come in regular PCI form?:
NVIDIA GeForce series
FX 5900, FX 5950
6200, 6500, 6600, 6800,
7200, 7300, 7600, 7800, 7900, 7950
8400, 8500, 8600, 8800
9600, 9800, GTX 260, GTX 280

ATI Radeon™ series
9500, 9600, 9800
X300, X600, X700, X800, X850
X1300, X1600, X1800, X1900, X1950
2400, 2600, 2900
3450, 3650, 3850, 3870,
4850, 4870

Intel® Extreme Graphics
GMA X3x00 series

Here's a picture of the whole inside of the PC in case I'm being completely oblivious, but I'm pretty sure there's no other slots in there:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b197/Chel182/LeLe/OtherFORREALS/IMG_1792-1.jpg

cant see through the dirt ,comp must be running hot ,should vacuum it out take and get it cleaned ,the bottom card looks like a dialup modem ,whats that number between the first to slots looks like ,PIGD-LA .
I have no idea about the numbers posted and if you think im searching all those card numbers to see if any come in reg pci ,you are crazier than i'm.lol
just google pci video card and read carefully as a lot will be pci-e even though you searched pci video .

Oh no lol, I'm searching through the card numbers myself right now, I just posted it in case someone already had one in pci of one of those or for whatever reason already knows of some.

Yeah, I know it's really dusty in there lol. I'm going to take care of it.

Hi Taffeta just had a look at your board caperjack was right they were made by HP as cheap boards & all your slots are standard PCI
PCI graphics cards are as rare as hens teeth these days & expensive I think you will struggle to get a pci vid card to play the new games on the market but good luck lol

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.