I have an older computer that was running Windows XP SP1. The computer is severly infected. I updated the OS to SP2 and am now having problems using my browser (firefox and netscape). IE is so corrupted that I can't even open without muliple windows popping up. I have purchased PC Security Suite but am not able to load it because I do not have enough space on the C drive. The person who put the computer together for me did not give me any back up disks and they partitioned my drive. I have space on my D drive but whenever I try to save to that one it still kicks me back to the C. If anyone has any help at all that they can give to me I would greatly appreciate it. I cannot afford to take the computer in to anyone so I am trying to fix it myself. If I start the computer in safe mode I am able to get online and use both of my browsers. I hope I have given enough info for any support I can get. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Please go to the Virus/Spyware forum, read the Readme posts and follow the offered steps using anti-Malware software that you can download on the good PC you have and trabsfer to the infected PC by memory stick.

I tried that with the PC Security Suite that I purchased but it keeps telling me I don't have enough memory and when I go to delete programs and files that I don't use or need it doesn't change the amount of memory. When I restart the computer all the files are still there even after I have deleted them.

I tried that with the PC Security Suite that I purchased but it keeps telling me I don't have enough memory and when I go to delete programs and files that I don't use or need it doesn't change the amount of memory. When I restart the computer all the files are still there even after I have deleted them.

if your PC is really that bad, you're probably going to have to reformat it, although you said you don't have any of the software needed to do that.

i'm a big fan of spybot search and destroy, adaware personal edition, and malwarebytes. they are all free programs you can get at downloads.com. just search for them. they don't remove viruses, but they'll take care your spyware problems.

if you're looking for a free antivirus solution, avast and avg are great products. i prefer avast over avg. try installing these applications in safe mode if you can't do so when booted into windows normally.

go to control pannel and click add or remove programs when this opens a list of programs will apear (it mayt take a while) remove any programs you do not want/need.

hmm
go on google
search for hijackthis boards
download hijack this
post your log on their forum

Miracle,

The upgradation of your computer to SP2 must have caused this problem. Apply System Restore for that.

Just follow these steps that I am writing:

Go to Start--->All Programs---->Accessories---->System Tools--->System Restore.

Use the default System Restore option,if you haven't created any new system restore.

After applying System Restore, use your computer and see if the problem is resolved. if its not resolved, then come back to this thread.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.