My computer, my documents, control panel, and search will not open. When clicking on any of these, an internet explorer error message shows up. I have an older Compaq, Win xp. It's an older computer, but I am the 1st to use it. It was working fine. I tried to go to Control panel to uninstall something and it would't open. Then found out the others won't open either. Any ideas??
I've tried restart, safe mode, system restore, Mcafee scan, trend micro house call (thst crashed on me before doing much), and spy subtract that came with computer.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Can you tell us what the error message was.

Can you tell us what the error message was.

It says Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and must close and gives the options to send error report, debug, or not.
I can open internet explorer fine as far as going online. I can get into my documents and my computer fine, if I open them in a program or online site.

What do you mean by opening my documents and my computer in a program?

I can open up my cd burn software or photo editing software and get to "my documents", "my pictures", and even "my computer". But just to use the start menu to get to those places, I can't. The search button doesn't work either. The only thing I can open on the right side of the start menu is "run".

try this fix..

www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/exefix.reg

or download malwarebytes

I'm going to try that once I'm back at my computer. I'm backing up and burning all of my important things, incase I end up having to start all over. Hopefully, I won't have to.

I can use my cd burn software or my photo editng software to open "my documents" and " my computer". The files inthese places seem to be fine. But, I can't open them when using the start menu. The only thing that will open on the right side of the start menu is "run", search doesn't work either.

I just wanted to add that the recycle bin doesn't work either. I've tried several scans and they show nothing. Same problem in safe mode too.

Did u install any software/application or hardware device before facing this problem?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.