Hi all, I just joined the forum hoping to find an answer to this problem.

When I try to open "My eBooks" folder in Win XP Pro, I get an error message that says "My eBooks is not accessable" "the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable".

The first thing I tried was system restore. No luck.

I've tried "chkdsk /F" and it won't run...it says "the volume is in use by another process". I've tried scheduling it to run at next startup, but it still won't run. It says something about "being a non-windows disk"

Running "chkdsk' by itself returns a lot of bad links to files also says something about "non-windows disk".

Everything was working fine when I went to bed last night. When I tried to open the folder today I got the above error message.

Every other folder in "My Documents" opens fine.

This is on a home-built computer, dual-boot- Windows 98SE on C:\ and XP Pro on D:\, AVG antivirus w/latest defs installed, Zone Alarm personal edition.

I've had no problems at all with this configuration until today. Anybody have any ideas how to fix it? Or maybe know how to get my files out of the "My eBooks" folder through a "back door", so to speak, so I can do a format and clean install?

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm about to lose what little hair I have left!

By the way, I tried the search feature before posting, but couldn't get any rsults.

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

Hi there

i had the exact same problem last night with my laptop that runs XP home SP2. The problem is Zonealarm, it messes up with the registry and other files, i found that it created hundreds of junk files which took up all the temp space for other programs, my suggest is if u can remove it and use another firewall such as Sygate personal and that solved my issue. another thing, did u let Check disk run all the way throuh coz mine actually repaired the main links to programs and were ok on a second boot. Another thing is the file system FAT32 or NTFS coz u are best converting if u are using FAT32 coz it is less reliable.

I did let chkdsk run all the way. Chkdsk /f wouldn't run, maybe because of ZoneAlarm. I'll try uninstalling ZA and see if it helps. Thanks.

ZoneAlarm causes a LOT of weird problems. It belongs in file 13.

ZoneAlarm causes a LOT of weird problems. It belongs in file 13.

Your right

I have my own server and I used Zonealarm and after that I got attacked from weeks to every day, Had my files saying "Access Denied files are being used by another person or program". I am having to restore my computer so many times it's not funny and my server wasn't even completely open in search engines yet.

because I used my external hard drive on a computer with Zonealarm I got this on some of my folders "??? is not accessible" "the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable".

HI boys,

Yesterday I installed Nero 7 version on my computer and I have USB external hard drive connected, and after completing the installtion both the partitions of my hard drive were corrupted. I don't know how to recover my data from that hard disk.

Please guide me

Thanks

Kal
Kal_leo@hotmail.com

Start up XP. Login and double click on my computer. Right click on the disk which holds the affected folder and choose properties then go to the tools tab. Choose "Error Checking"

Check "automatically fix errors" and "reocver bad sectors"

Clisk go. It will say the disk is busy and ask you whether you want to schedule it to be done on bootup. choose yes and reboot. Let it do the scan, it may take ages..

Hi my friend,

Thanks for the reply, well I have tried error checking and also chkdsk but as the entire partiion is corrupt, it is not allowing to do any thing on it, yesterday I formatted and trying to find some good software where I can recover my data from teh partitioned disk. if U have any software which can affective recover all the information pls. email it to me on kal_leo@hotmail.com

Thanks

kal

i dont think you will ever be able to recover it

Kalleo,

Sorry I forgot to post the solution to my problem above.

If you can find a copy of Winternals Disk Commander and if you can boot up at all, install it on a working partition. Then just run it. It will find all the drives you have connected.

Then, it's just a matter of copying your files to a new drive or partition.

After that, do a format of your external drive and go back to business as usual.

Disclaimer: this worked for me. It may or may not work for you in your particular circumstances!

However, I did use this software to recover all my ebooks and other files from a corrupted Windows disk.

I had to reinstall windows (xp pro) over itself, then use Disk Commander to go in and recover my files.

Good luck.

Michael Worthington
www.video-how-to.com

Thanks Mike,

well I don't have any problem with the booting, as my external Hard drive is corrupt not my standard hard drive, so can U please advice me where to find that software, or if possible can U pls email me the software U have to this email ID. Kal_leo@hotmail.com

Thanks

Kal

Hi guys,

I tried to recover some of the files and when I am trying to open some images(JPG) they are not opening up, says invalid format or kinds, I tired to open through different editors like paintbrush, fireworks etc.
can somebody help me with a solution how can I view these images, as these are my photos, I want to recover them.

Thanks

Kal

Hi all, I just joined the forum hoping to find an answer to this problem.

When I try to open "My eBooks" folder in Win XP Pro, I get an error message that says "My eBooks is not accessable" "the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable".

The first thing I tried was system restore. No luck.

I've tried "chkdsk /F" and it won't run...it says "the volume is in use by another process". I've tried scheduling it to run at next startup, but it still won't run. It says something about "being a non-windows disk"

Running "chkdsk' by itself returns a lot of bad links to files also says something about "non-windows disk".

Everything was working fine when I went to bed last night. When I tried to open the folder today I got the above error message.

Every other folder in "My Documents" opens fine.

I've had no problems at all with this configuration until today. Anybody have any ideas how to fix it? Or maybe know how to get my files out of the "My eBooks" folder through a "back door", so to speak, so I can do a format and clean install?

plz give me solution

To recover files from corrupted partition, try out the "recover my files" software it recovers maximum files.
But an important thing to remember is that, once u realise that the partition is courrpted, dont go fot any scans or disk check.. which windows tries to do on a courrpted disk.

In recover my files, go for a fast format recover, and let the scan finish, after that it will show u which of the files ar recoverable.
-------
I recoverd all my files with this software. :)

it's possible that files system, more exactly, the MFT or file allocation table is damaged. it may be caused by disk ejecting while the drive is still working. also it might be caused by virus infection. to fix this you can
step 1: retrieve data with recovery apps. since it can't be opened now, you need to restore data with professional tools.
If there is no important data on the drive, you can skip the step 1 and try the following solution:
Solution 1: format it directly. you can either format it under Disk Management or Windows Explorer with Quick Format.
Solution 2: carry out ChkDsk to repair file system errors. chkdsk /f g: g is the drive letter of the partition in question and it can be other letter in your case.
Type Y and hit Enter and restart computer to resume disk check if you get the message "Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? "
for detailed steps with screenshot you can go http://www.eassos.com/how-to/The-file-or-directory-is-corrupted-and-unreadable.php

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.