Hello, how do I fix a "missing hal.dll" error at boot when I cannot use the disk to get to the recovery console because I do not have the administrator password, and I cannot use the repair feature after (f8) the EULA agreement because the option is not there. Because of the error at boot, I obviously cannot boot into safe mode or use the command prompt at f8, any suggestions? They would be greatly appreciated. (I'm running XP Pro SP3-on a P5GC-MX ASUS MOBO-Intel Core Duo-2.50GHz CPU-1GB RAM)

Thank You

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Boot from your CD and follow the directions to start Recovery Console. Then:

1. Insert and boot from your WindowsXP CD.
2. At the first R=Repair option, press the "R" key
3. Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the installation of Windows you want to repair.
Typically this will be #1
4. Attrib -H -R -S C:\Boot.ini
5. DEL C:\Boot.ini
6. BootCfg /Rebuild
7. Fixboot

thank you for the reply, but as I said in the thread, I do not have the administrators password which immediately follows choosing the windows location which is normally #1

1. Place your Windows XP CD in your cd-rom and start your computer (it’s assumed here that your XP CD is bootable – as it should be - and that you have your bios set to boot from CD)
2. Keep your eye on the screen messages for booting to your cd Typically, it will be “Press any key to boot from cd”
3. Once you get in, the first screen will indicate that Setup is inspecting your system and loading files.

4. When you get to the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER to Setup Windows now and don't select 'repair' from that screen.
5. The Licensing Agreement comes next - Press F8 to accept it.
6. The next screen is the Setup screen which gives you the option to do a Repair.

It should read something like “If one of the following Windows XP installations is damaged, Setup can try to repair it”
Use the up and down arrow keys to select your XP installation (if you only have one, it should already be selected) and press R to begin the Repair process.
7. Let the Repair run. Setup will now check your disks and then start copying files which can take several minutes.
8. Shortly after the Copying Files stage, you will be required to reboot. (this will happen automatically – you will see a progress bar stating “Your computer will reboot in 15 seconds”
9. During the reboot, do not make the mistake of “pressing any key” to boot from the CD again! Setup will resume automatically with the standard billboard screens and you will notice Installing Windows is highlighted.

You Will Not Need An Administrator Password to do this.. :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.