Here's the situation:

Installed Windows 7 RC7100 (64-bit) onto its own partition. Needed to setup dual boot. Obtained WinXP Pro 64bit and installed onto new partition. After installation, PC reboots and hangs at the WindowsXP screen for about 15 seconds, then automatically restarts. It WILL NOT boot into Safe + Network, or Last Known Config--ONLY Safe Mode. I have installed chipset, video, and NIC drivers, but this did not solve the problem.

Additionally, Device Manager says Audio Driver/Sound Card is not functioning properly. Tried installing those drivers, but Creative's software states that no compatible sound card can be detected. I completely uninstalled the devices in Device Manager. After booting back into Safe Mode, Windows stated it has "Found New Hardware" (the sound card). Again, Creative installer says it can't detect a card. Not sure if these issues are related....

I am receiving several "Driver Not Loaded" entries in the bootlog, and several system errors in EventViewer. FYI--everything worked fine on the Windows 7 partition.

Specs:

Dell Dimension 5100
Pentium 4 3.0
4 GB 533 Mhz DDR2
Onboard Intel NIC
HIS Radeon HD2600 XT

Thank you in advance for your assistance!
-David

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Try completely disabling the hardware that is throwing out dings in the event viewer. Also, are the drivers for the sound card 64 bit?

Try completely disabling the hardware that is throwing out dings in the event viewer. Also, are the drivers for the sound card 64 bit?

Event Viewer is showing only an error with "DCOM". Is this referring to a hardware issue?

The sound card is the Creative Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit internal PCI. I'm downloading the most recent drivers, which state they are both Vista and XP x64 compatible.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.