I have a connector ps2 to usb port. Can I use that usb port as a regular USB port?
I know that they are for usb mouse and keyboard but can I use it for a flash driver or some other device?

Are there any other types of devices that could use the ps2 port?

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Hello,

Are you asking can you use the USB ports that the mouse and keyboard are plugged in for things like flash drives? If you are then most likely you can; try it.

If you have PS/2 ports for keyboard and mouse avaliable why not use them and free up 2 USB ports.

- Hope this helps

I think I'd like to get a few more replies before I try it. I do have 8 computers but I don't really want to try. I'll think about it over night. I have an Acer 1.8 ghz that no longer suits my purpose. I was thinking of giving it away. I suppose no one else will have much use for it either.

Just a note: the USB PS2 comnnector is the same as a normal USB port. I have a double ended connector so I can actually connect something to it, maybe a phone or an ipod. I've got an ipod that only responds with an hour glass so I suppose I'll use that for my experiment.

Just a quick question are you after plugging USB devices into a PS/2 port?

Just a quick question are you after plugging USB devices into a PS/2 port?

yeah i think thats what they are asking ,sound to me like they have a ps/2 y cord going from ps/2 to 2 usb's ,they are used for connecting a usb mouse and keyboard to a single ps/2 on a laptop generally i do believe, and i do not think a flash drive will function on it !

I have a connector ps2 to usb port. Can I use that usb port as a regular USB port?
I know that they are for usb mouse and keyboard but can I use it for a flash driver or some other device?

Are there any other types of devices that could use the ps2 port?

You make it sound like you have connected a ps/2 device to a USB port via a ps2/USB converter.

Which is it?

1. PS/2 device -> USB converter -> USB port
2. USB device -> PS/2 converter -> PS/2 port

2. USB device -> PS/2 converter -> PS/2 port

a mouse one will not even work for a keyboard !

Okay then, I can say that you can't use it as an ordinary USB port.

Earlier I was assuming;

1. PS/2 device -> USB converter -> USB port

If you after more USB ports try a USB hub.

- Hope this helps

Apparently you cannot use the ps2 ports for anything except a keyboard and mouse. In case anyone doesn't know, the purple one is for keyboard and the green one is for mouse. But only 99% of the time. The other 1% is the reverse.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.