I have 3 computers that were all loaded with the same versions 98 SE and am in the process of upgrading each to XP Pro. ( I need to upgrade vs clean install, I know but I have my reasons ) Each unit is P4 1.6 Intel mobo D850GB all with the latest BIOS. Similar set-ups in each unit. The install went cleanly on 2 of 3 units. The last one ( which has been acting server through a windows network for my business software) will not load XP. Right after you enter the product code and it goes to the web for the updated setup files it comes up with Error cannot copy mfc42.dll with the only option of OK then Error cannot copy migisol.exe , again only option OK then about 2 minutes later a critical error note and code 599FF5CH ( also one time got EFFF5CH ) and then setup cancels. I've searched high and low without success. Some searches said it was a hardware or BIOS problem. I believe I can rule that out. I removed the drive and plugged in into one of the other computers with the same results. All the following but not in order.... I also went to the Windows update page and downloaded and installed all updates ( 98 SE ) I tried reloading the software. I tried renaming mfc42.dll to mfc42.old and got a new copy off the web without success. I removed the entries from the registry ( on a prayer ) still no luck. I ran system file checker, tried selective startup bypassing files, tried various registry repair programs though i didnt get the full registered versions ( I will if I knew it would fix my problem ) I've followed all the instructions in the pre-updated reports that comes on the disk. I really need to upgrade it vs clean install. The software I use for my shop that is installed is licensed but the company is no longer around. If I clean install I lose it then it would only be a trial version and would terminate after 30 days. ANY HELP :cry: would REALLY BE APPRECIATED, THANK YOU!

Recommended Answers

All 21 Replies

That troublesome software have a license code that you've lost track of? If that's the hiccup, try downloading and using Belarc Advisor www.belarc.com/download

It's a little utility that gives a report of your system, and part of that report includes license codes for a fair bit of software. Might be helpful, might not, but it's worth a try.

I'll check it out, the software is an Invoicing / repair order generator with all my database on it. The funny part is the need for the Op upgrade is for a new program. Problem is I need my system all set up with the old software working daily while I install and convert over to the new system. Other wise pffft its gone and clean install I'm sure would solve it. I'm kind of playing with the idea of picking up anothe hd and loading the XP on it and slaving this hd and trying to access it from there. If I cant find a solution here. Thanks for the post

Your database exportable in the program you have? That'd eliminate the problem. If you can export it as a comma delimited file or somesuch, and then import the file into the new program there's no problem.

Did you ever get a solution, Mike?

I am having exactly the same problem upgrading from 98 (not SE) to XP SP3 on a Toshiba Portege laptop which I am upgrading as a notebook.

What is unusual is that these files are in C:\WINDOWS on the hard drive but not on the installation CD!

Did you ever get a solution, Mike?

I am having exactly the same problem upgrading from 98 (not SE) to XP SP3 on a Toshiba Portege laptop which I am upgrading as a notebook.

What is unusual is that these files are in C:\WINDOWS on the hard drive but not on the installation CD!

are you having the exact same problem ,or just having a problem upgrading to winxp sp3 , one thing i would suggest is to try upgrading to winxp sp1 first ,then install the other 2 sp's

Thanks, Caperjack

The intent with using a XPProSP3 installation, a downloaded version, was to avoid the manual service pack updating.

The suggestion to go back to an XP installation is a good one but until the problem has been properly identified there is no guarantee the same problem simply won't occur then. (It is clearly happening with XPSP2, since that was the original question.)

Do you have any idea what these dll files and the migisol.exe actually do?

What would you think about my attempting a full installation? The laptop has a clean Windows XP Upgrade Advisor report and has nothing on it. It was cleaned out years ago when all the applications being used were transferred to a XPPro desktop. I am upgrading it to use as a notebook - the Toshiba Portege 3110CT was a nice piece of hardware.

Should any of these files prove to be required could they simply be downloaded afterwards? I have a desktop with XPProSP3 and all the dll files can be sourced from there. migisol.exe appears to be a Windows 95/98/2000 app and is not in my desktop XPProSP3 C:\WINDOWS\ anyway.

Your advice would be very much appreciated as I am going nowhere fast!

Regards

Peter

I have 3 computers that were all loaded with the same versions 98 SE and am in the process of upgrading each to XP Pro. ( I need to upgrade vs clean install, I know but I have my reasons ) Each unit is P4 1.6 Intel mobo D850GB all with the latest BIOS. Similar set-ups in each unit. The install went cleanly on 2 of 3 units. The last one ( which has been acting server through a windows network for my business software) will not load XP. Right after you enter the product code and it goes to the web for the updated setup files it comes up with Error cannot copy mfc42.dll with the only option of OK then Error cannot copy migisol.exe , again only option OK then about 2 minutes later a critical error note and code 599FF5CH ( also one time got EFFF5CH ) and then setup cancels. I've searched high and low without success. Some searches said it was a hardware or BIOS problem. I believe I can rule that out. I removed the drive and plugged in into one of the other computers with the same results. All the following but not in order.... I also went to the Windows update page and downloaded and installed all updates ( 98 SE ) I tried reloading the software. I tried renaming mfc42.dll to mfc42.old and got a new copy off the web without success. I removed the entries from the registry ( on a prayer ) still no luck. I ran system file checker, tried selective startup bypassing files, tried various registry repair programs though i didnt get the full registered versions ( I will if I knew it would fix my problem ) I've followed all the instructions in the pre-updated reports that comes on the disk. I really need to upgrade it vs clean install. The software I use for my shop that is installed is licensed but the company is no longer around. If I clean install I lose it then it would only be a trial version and would terminate after 30 days. ANY HELP :cry: would REALLY BE APPRECIATED, THANK YOU!

The software I use for my shop that is installed is licensed but the company is no longer around. If I clean install I lose it then it would only be a trial version and would terminate after 30 days.

That's not exactly true, you can do a clean install, you just have to prove you own the previous version by inserting the 98 disc when asked.
Info on mfc42.dll and migisol.exe;
The mfc42.dll library is required for windows to operate. It provides a number of classes and code functions that are used in a wide variety of programs written using the Visual C++ programming language. If mfc42.dll is unavailable, any software that relies on the functions that it provides will crash and/or become unstable.
migisol.exe (Windows NT Migration Helper) is an executable from the software Microsoft Windows 2000 Operating System version 5.0.1 by Microsoft Corporation. migisol.exe version 5.0.1 has a file size of 27,408 bytes, and is most commonly found under the directory "dllcache"

Thanks, Caperjack

The intent with using a XPProSP3 installation, a downloaded version, was to avoid the manual service pack updating.

The suggestion to go back to an XP installation is a good one but until the problem has been properly identified there is no guarantee the same problem simply won't occur then. (It is clearly happening with XPSP2, since that was the original question.)

Do you have any idea what these dll files and the migisol.exe actually do?

What would you think about my attempting a full installation? The laptop has a clean Windows XP Upgrade Advisor report and has nothing on it. It was cleaned out years ago when all the applications being used were transferred to a XPPro desktop. I am upgrading it to use as a notebook - the Toshiba Portege 3110CT was a nice piece of hardware.

Should any of these files prove to be required could they simply be downloaded afterwards? I have a desktop with XPProSP3 and all the dll files can be sourced from there. migisol.exe appears to be a Windows 95/98/2000 app and is not in my desktop XPProSP3 C:\WINDOWS\ anyway.

Your advice would be very much appreciated as I am going nowhere fast!

Regards

Peter

Hi,I would go for the full install if it were me ,
Adamsappleone's post above says it better than i ever could as to what the files are for ,thank you

Thanks, Adamsappleone.

I have discovered a procedure at XP installation for adding "missing" files (drivers, in the case referred to) to the XP upgrade at:
http://209.167.114.38/support/techsupport/tsbs/all/-TSB001272.htm

My guess that I will be able to use this procedure to "patch in" the mfc42.dll, setupapi.dll and cfgmgr32.dll files a copy of which which I can take from my XPProSP3 desktop. I am assuming they are simply copied into C:\WINDOWS\setup\ along with the other files from D:\I386\

That requires me to connect a floppy disk drive to the laptop which the Toshiba laptop fortunately has. All that is missing is a spare floppy disk to use - they are not that easy to come by these days out here on the edge of civilisation (New Zealand)!

Please note that I have followed all the procedures recommended by Microsoft for "minimising" the system prior to an XP Upgrade (except the manual compatibility check as the references are not longer available - the links in the Microsoft documentation now go to the Microsoft Vista upgrade site!). I have ruthlessly deleted applications and, as mentioned above, have a clean Windows XP Upgrade Advisor report. Even dropped the mouse for the ghastly Toshiba toggle pointing device.

I would appreciate your comments (and best wishes, if appropriate) on what I am suggesting before go ahead and attempt the "patch in" upgrade.

Regards

Peter
PS There are references to this specific problem in support sites across the internet (including Microsoft, Toshiba and the suppliers of the installation CD/downloads) and not one appears to have a definite solution. The problem, i.e. upgrading from a previous Microsoft OS to a newer one with service packs is, I feel, more likely to increase than go away.

There is a method similar to what you mentioned as a "Patch In" and it's called "Slipstream" where there's no need for a floppy drive or disc.

The example given is for "Slipstreaming" SP2 in to a XPSP1 disc, but you can use the same method for any file as long as you know where the file goes.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

Don't be overwhelmed by the presentation, it's easier than it looks.
I have done quite a number of times.

You could also "Google, How-To-Slipstream" for more results

Let me know how it goes.

Don

Thanks, Caperjack.

The problem I have with a full install is that mfc42.dll appears to be a crucial file. And probably why the upgrade stops with a Fatal Error message.

So either the full install will stop with the same Fatal Error (if I am right) or it will install without mfs42.dll which could crash the system before I have the chance to download the dll files to fix the situation. It is only this one time I have the luxury of not having a system loaded with applications and data - that is unlikely to be the case in the future.

It appears (know that I am beginning to learn how a Windows XPProSP3 version is possible) that I have purchased an incomplete slipstreamed version, i.e. one with at least one critical system file missing.

As Adamsappleone suggests (below) I can slipstream the missing files using the installation CD I have created from the download archive (with the iso file burning software, MagicISO provided). The advantage of that is that I would then have a workable installation CD should I need to reload the operating system at some point in the future. That is rather than having to go through what i have referred to as the "file patching" process.

I would like the upgrade to work successfully so I will persist with that in the interim.

Thanks, Don. That's great.

My surfing did come across "slipstreaming" and your comments have emboldened me. Reference is made to my response to Caperjack above regarding a full installation.

While I don't have an original retail installation CD (my Windows '98 is an OEM version) I do have a Windows XPProSP3 Installation CD with "missing"files which I can slipstream in to give me a working Installation CD in the future. I know the location of the files as I have a desktop running XPProSP3 - I will source them from there rather than search the internet for the latest possible versions.

The impression I have is that it makes sense to produce a slipstreamed Installation CD as each new service pack is released to avoid having to reinstall the original system and then download the service packs (if you are lucky and it is accumulative, then just the most recent) and the subsequent security patches in the event one has an unrecoverable crash. ) I recall an article in XP Magazine (Australia) soem time ago now about creating an XPSP2 Reinstallation CD. And the comment in your link that some service packs are as substantial as a new OS.)
Is producing one after each service pack going too far, do you think?

I would like to try the "patch the file" method first. At least that will confirm the missing files as the problem. Also whether or not we have solved the problem or there are subsequent problems with the upgrade we haven't yet had the joy of experiencing!

It will also provide me the ammunition to blast the provider Eurosoftware at software-4-you.com

Thanks again. I will keep you posted. Better get back to my day job too!

Regards

Peter

Even though MS has continued support for Xp through 2014, I doubt that there will be another Service Pack release for it.
So, if you're making 1 for SP3, you should be set.

Good luck,

Don

Even though MS has continued support for Xp through 2014, I doubt that there will be another Service Pack release for it.
So, if you're making 1 for SP3, you should be set.

Good luck,

Don

And i know your persistence will pay off ,good luck

Hi Don (AdamsAppleOne) and Caperjack

I "wimped out" at the slipstreaming and the "patch as you go" did not work - the facility to "patch in" a driver comes at a later stage of the upgrade.
However, I was emboldened enough to then go for the full install which worked without a hitch.
And what was interesting was the the files that came up as being unable to copy from the CD during the upgrade, were the latest versions when I checked them after the full install (since I was able to check the version numbers on a desktop I have with an OEM XPProSP3)

So we have a solution but not an explanation to the original problem!

Thanks again, guys. It wouldn't have happened without your encouragement.

Regards
Peter

Hi,
Next time use nLite-1_1.4.9.1. to slipstream your disk, it will put the files you want to add where they need to be automatically as well as several other useful functions such as unattended install.

If you are now happy, you can mark this thread as solved and add to the reputation of the main helper.

Thanks, Bob_180_Bob

That sounds good. Not sure (being a brand new user) how to close off the thread. I am not the originator, having joined the thread with the same problem with a later version (SP3 cf SP2)

i have downloaded Mfc42.dll ..But after downloading this file, get facing many problem.. i have found another site .. They says if i download this file, it will may damage your system files and you will get many problem, as like File is missing... File was not found...Could not be loaded...Has not been registered...Cannot start...etc.. is that true..?

Man, you’re a champion!
I can’t believe this fixed the problem that I was struggling for a week or so.
I had actually nothing to do with the winnt32a.dll and winnt32u.dll files. Just uncompressing mfc42.dll, migisol.exe, filelist.dat and wkstamig.inf did the job for me.
Thanks a lot

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.