Running Windows XP Media Edition 2002 SP3 on a Toshiba Laptop. After installing Intellipoint Software, I lost use of my Touchpad & Built-In Keyboard. I'm using USB Mouse & Keyboard fine, so I'm not worried about that right now as I've been working on it for months, but I was told to try running SFC SCANNOW and it will not complete. Error says it needs the Windows XP SP3 CD, which I've never had. I only have an image of the OS that completely restores the machine back to it's original state. (Not an option for me)
I tried the suggestions here:
http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html
regarding changing the registry, this does not work either. I still get the error stating that some DLL's must be copied to the Cache and to insert the CD.
Any other ideas?
Thanks for any help.
Tim

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Can't you download the required DLLs and specify their location to the installer or whatever's requesting them?

What version of XP are you using? As long as the disc you use is the same as the one installed you can use anyones.

Dave

What version of XP are you using? As long as the disc you use is the same as the one installed you can use anyones.

Dave

As stated in my original post, I'm using Windows XP Media 2002 SP3, but I don't know of anyone who has even heard of a Wndows XP SP3 CD. I don't even have a Windows CD

SFC is System File Scanner. It is designed to replace damaged or missing Windows system file's only. It will not restore 3rd party driver files or reg keys.

Your pc is most likely infected.

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebyt...are_d5756.html) to your desktop.

* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
* At the end, be sure to checkmark the Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When completed, a log will open in Notepad.
* Post the log back here.

Make sure that you restart the computer.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.