Hi, my computer is so slow that it takes sometimes 2 minutes to load a web page. Even offline it is that slow. What causes this and what can I do about it?
Jemmmy

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Check the links in my signature. Also, check out our "Viruses, Spyware, and other Nasties" forum.

Most often, if your PC is inexplicably slow, spyware and viruses are at fault. Do you have any wierd stuff popping up or happening when you're online? Who is your ISP?

yES aLEX, I get all sorts of stuff and pop ups everywhere and oh, just losts of weird things happening.

My ISP is Telewest broadband

Jemmmy

your computer speed you say, if you increase your RAM, and run anti-virus and anti-spyware that should speed it up alot!!! :p

I would suggest you go to the microsoft website and download the Antispy (beta) program. I have found that it works well at removing spyware, even thouigh I have a good firewall and antivirus, it still found adware on my system.

be careful though, u can destroy your system if ur not careful in how u use it. If unsure about what to do, then always choose "quarantine" when the scan finioshes and gives u a report on what nasty things are on your computer.

In addition to the above, have you;

- Got enough primary disk space for your page file. I would recommend leaving 2 times the Ram that you system has.

- Disk Defragmenter and disk clean up found in Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools. (Worth trying if the PC is a year old or more)

To speed up your computer, you should do lots of things:

1. Cleanup all of the cookies and plug-ins in the Internet Explorer.
2. Terminate unneeded programs on startup.To disable the startup programs, you can click "Start"--Run--Type in msconfig--Under the "startup" tab, you can choose the unwanted startup programs.
3.Detect and fix Windows registry errors.

You also can follow this article to repair your slow computer.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.