Looks like I picked up a trojan or virus from somewhere or caused this by installing a KB security for IE, I don't know what actually screwed my laptop. The KB patch needed a reboot and after rebooting there was only .lnk files being displayed, all the links to my programs had gone. After over two weeks messing round with it I've got it back, nearly. I copied large chunks of my registry from my desktop to my laptop, ran trend micro home visit and adaware on it, it also messed up by dns settings, had to run 'hijackthis' on it. So it's nearly sorted, the only thing I can't do is to set a restore point (which I know I should have done earlier). There are no restore points set and I can't get into the wizard where you can name a restore point (the focus won't allow anything to typed in the box).

Has anyone got any ideas, it is really doing my head in.

Thanks Jim

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Hi Jim,

Copying the registry from one pc to another in my opinion is not really advisable. This might be the reason why your having a problem with the Restore Point. If you have not made any changes to your system since you used your pc registry for your laptop I would try and restore your laptops registry. Then try the System Restore wizard.

Otherwise make sure System Restore is not turned off so click Start > Right Click My Computer > Properties > Click "System Restore" tab. Turn off system restore must not be ticked. Then try the system restore wizard again.

You could of tried to uninstall the KB update via Add/Remove program, Show updates must be ticked.

Hope this helps
Darren

Cheers Darren,
They're both works machines, both XP service pack 3. They've got identical things installed on them because of the job. I've found another thing I can't do on it, if I go into 'Add and remove programs' I can't un-install anything I've not got the option.

Cheers,
Jim

Darren,

I can now see the windows updates, but I've still not got the option to remove them (or anything else for that matter).

I've got 13 gig free.

Cheers,

Jim

Darren,

I can now see the windows updates, but I've still not got the option to remove them (or anything else for that matter).

I've got 13 gig free.

Cheers,

Jim

Open the Registry Editor. Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
\SOFTWARE
\Microsoft
\Windows
\CurrentVersion
\Uninstall
\<Program Name>

In the right-pane, do the following:

Double-click NoRemove (REG_DWORD) and set it to 0
Double-click NoModify (REG_DWORD) and set it to 0

If NoRemove is set to 1, the Remove button will be unavailable
If NoModify is set to 1, the Change button will be unavailable

Reason why I asked about your space is because System Retore must have a min of 200mg free - so that rules out why you cannot enter a descrition for your check point.

Good man Darren,
There was only a few programs listed in the uninstall key you pointed me to on the laptop so I backed up the registry key from it. And copied across the one from my desktop, I know it's a bit dodgy but it seems to have sorted it. All my programs are now available for removal, oracle, mysql and sqlserver. The only problem remaining is the 'system restore' I can't see the calender or can't enter a value for a restore point?

Thanks again.
Jim

Right can you see the system restore calendar etc on your desktop?

On laptop:
Is the system restore service running?
System Restore is definitely enabled?
Must be a registry thing.

Download CCleaner can give your registry a clean ;)

Darren

Darren,

I can see the calender and enter my own restore point on my desktop.

The service is running and it's not disabled in the properties of 'My Computer' on my laptop.

I'll get the CCleaner.

Thanks,

Jim

try this taken from http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...03march17.mspx have read and this script is mentioned towards the bottom:

You can script System Restore to make taking snapshots quicker and easier. Wouldn't you like to have a script sitting on your desktop that you can run before making changes to the registry? Here's how to create a script that will create a restore point when you double-click it:

1. Using Notepad, type the following listing and save it with the file extension .vbs and make sure that you enclose the file name in quotation marks so Notepad doesn't add the .txt file extension to the name.

Set SRP = GetObject( "winmgmts:\\.\root\default:Systemrestore" )
CSRP = SRP.CreateRestorePoint( "Hacked the registry", 0, 100 )

2. Double-click the script file any time you want to make a snapshot, presumably before opening the Registry Editor to tweak the registry.

Double-click the script file any time you want to make a snapshot, presumably before opening the Registry Editor to tweak the registry.

Maybe forcing the System Restore will fix also??
Darren

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.