I am a moron and forgot my xp password for my admin. account (only account on the computer) and now it wants me to change the password that I can't remember. I tried logging into to safe mode, but it seems to stop/freeze after the following message:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\agp440.sys

I had Windows ME and upgrade to XP. Any suggestions on what to do or do I have to reformat and loss everything. I just want to save some info from the computer.

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

are you sure it freezes after that? i know that it will still show the different things it's loading for safe mode until it boots into safe mode. sometimes it takes a while.

it's worth a shot, but if you have access to another xp machine, try creating a password recovery boot disk. go to control panel~>create a name or select one(not sure which would work) then click the "prevent a forgotten password"

reload winxp with out ME ,you'll be better off anyway

Heres what you do to get rid of the sys error. You have to boot the XP cd. Then go into Install Windows, and then hit repair/recovery. It will fix your file errors. It will not however reset your password.

he would still need the admin pw to login :)

the post boot admin pw is (I think) different to the recovery console admin pw. he should try it. also, microsoft have a knowledge base article for people who can't boot beyond agp440.sys. I'll try and find the article number.

That link to the downloaded file says something about beware of losing encrypted files if you have Wiin XP. I didn't purposely save any files as being encrypted, but doesn't windows do that? What kind of files are they talking about? I have the same problem, bu I think the pwl file got corrupted because I didn't change my pass word and none of the other users can get in either. Thank god, I left one name available to get into the system as a default user with no pass word (but not admin either :( )

We can't access DOS, Search etc but we can still get online to read help forums! hehe

I am a moron and forgot my xp password for my admin. account (only account on the computer) and now it wants me to change the password that I can't remember. I tried logging into to safe mode, but it seems to stop/freeze after the following message:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\agp440.sys

I had Windows ME and upgrade to XP. Any suggestions on what to do or do I have to reformat and loss everything. I just want to save some info from the computer.

Thanks

go to pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=305

Go into safe mode and then log in as admin and then you can go to control panel and user accounts and change the psswrd for required user.

For any issues related with VISTA go to <snip>

He can't go through the safe mode.

Just follow the steps.. this doesn't require you to know the admin password but still you can change it..

Start >> Run >> [type]cmd // this will open your command prompt
[type] net(space)user(press enter)
[type] net(space)user(space)[windowsloginid](sp ace)*(press enter)

// for e.g. : net user Shaswat *(press enter)

[type] new password (press enter) and retype it (press enter).. it will show u confirmation... // caution it wont show you the password you type.. the blinking pointer will b there at the same place.. it worked for me once.
// for e.g. : password changed successfully.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.