acer aspire 5100 3583
1 gb ram
amd turion 64 2.0ghz
windows xp media center edition

also my sounds are slow and distorted

Recommended Answers

All 27 Replies

Hi,
It could be one or more of many problems so you need to start to rule them out. Firstly, go to "Viruses, spyware and other nasties" and read the sticky note about removing viruses. Do what is offered there and if your machine is still playing up after that, come back and ask here again.

You might have reached your limit of HDD space. A good rule of thumb is to have (at least) 10% free space on the main Partition.

God bless you Jupiter 2,
Did the poster fill his hard drive to more than 90% after he got the BSOD and that is why it is now so slow?

try defragmentation and also check for errors. right click on the drive and select properties > tools > error checking - check now and when d dialog box opens click on both the checkboxes and click on start.

after this try defragementation...
slowing down of system is due to some missing parts of files or setups present is some of the drives... also do a complete scan of viruses in your windows and system32 folders..

hope this will help to reduce your problem...

Hi,
Firstly, go to "Viruses, spyware and other nasties" and read the sticky note about removing viruses. Do what is offered there and if your machine is still playing up after that, come back and ask here again.

also do a complete scan of viruses in your windows and system32 folders..

hope this will help to reduce your problem...

Where have I heard that before somewhere.. thats right i just said it!!

Hi,
It could be one or more of many problems so you need to start to rule them out. Firstly, go to "Viruses, spyware and other nasties" and read the sticky note about removing viruses. Do what is offered there and if your machine is still playing up after that, come back and ask here again.

Good one Jupiter 2,
May god continue to bless you.

Hi,
-You might tell us whether you're running an antivirus and if presumably so, which one and whether it is updated as well as the results of a recent full scan.
-You should clean out all your temp files by running atf (all temp file cleaner) available free here;
http://www.atribune.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=25
-Is your disk indeed (almost) full?
-In my experience the bsd is often a failing hard drive (assuming an updated antivirus suite) but you have to do the diagnostics, how old is the hard disk and how long has it run (approx - was it on 24hrs/day or twice a week for example) and is it kept cool and clean etc?
- Assuming an updated anitvirus suite, and not a full disk, then you would want to clean the registry with a good product such as Registry Mechanic which is not free but I've used for years, it works reliably and makes pcs run faster:
http://www.pctools.com/registry-mechanic/
Let us know!

a couple days ago my computer blue screened
i restarted and now its really slow and takes forever to startup
can someone please help me

acer aspire 5100 3583
1 gb ram
amd turion 64 2.0ghz
windows xp media center edition

also my sounds are slow and distorted

I have found that if the internet updates is turned on, including the options in iTunes, Media Player and several other programs, the computer is constantly searching the internet, even if internet is not connected, at start up.

I turn the "search for updates at start up " off or disable them in each program.

Microsoft Updates and Windows Updates, I disable these also.

At least disable them for this scenario and see if this makes any difference for you.

ok im am clean of viruses
ive done everything and i know i am clean of viruses
this is a hardware error
i have 30% free on my main partition and i have defragged
i will run a disk check now and get back to you soon
thanks for the help

disk check ran
clean - no problems

Hi,
Do you still have a problem or is everything working now?

thanks bob ill try that and get back to you

ok so i checked device manager and it was ok
i ran the sfc and it asked for my windows xp sp3 disk
i unfortunately dont have one

It is possible to make a new boot disk to repair your windows, you must have a i386 Directory (Folder) on your Hard Disk
This is essential. Without this, the procedure will not work. To find out whether you can re-create your bootable Windows XP setup disk, look for into your system drive (usually the C: drive), and see if you can find a folder named I386 in the root directory. That is, use the search function on your PC and see if you have the C:\I386 folder on a hard disk.
If your PC or laptop came from the major PC vendors like HP, Dell or Acer, chances are that there is an I386 folder at the root of drive C:, unless you've deleted it.
Note that only c:\i386 contains the files needed for this operation. Do not use the files in "C:\Windows\Driver Cache\i386" or any other folders. If you do not have it on your PC but can borrow a disk with it on you will still be OK.
If you do have this folder on your PC or borrowed, go to this site and see if you can make a new boot disk.
http://www.howtohaven.com/system/createwindowssetupdisk.shtml

Follow the instructions there and if you are lucky, you will be able to make a new disk

thanks i think i am going to try this
is it possible that I have a bad stick of ram
one of my friends said that I might have a bad stick of ram but I am not sure

Hello, Did you install any new software or updates shortly before the blue screen?

You say you have no viruses. Was there any? or did you not find any?

As for you thoughs on RAM can you do a memory test? some linux distros have a memory test function there maybe other programs out there I am not aware of. You may want to get a light linux distro to test the memory.

- Let us know how it goes.

It is possible that you have a bad stick of RAM. You have 1GB is that 1 or two sticks? If it is two, you can remove one, try one in one or more different slots, then try the other, and try your PC each time you change (turn off at power point first) If you only have one stick you can download a test program from Microsoft and test it..........
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

I have 2 512mb sticks
I looked in my bios and it says I have 787mb extended memory
what does that mean?

also I checked for viruses with many programs and I have not found anything

I used a program today and it says my cpu is running at 799mhz
I know for sure that I have a 2.0ghz amd turion
what would cause this?

Hello, Did you install any new software or updates shortly before the blue screen?

You say you have no viruses. Was there any? or did you not find any?

As for you thoughs on RAM can you do a memory test? some linux distros have a memory test function there maybe other programs out there I am not aware of. You may want to get a light linux distro to test the memory.

- Let us know how it goes.

No I have not installed any updates

I have 2 512mb sticks
I looked in my bios and it says I have 787mb extended memory
what does that mean?

also I checked for viruses with many programs and I have not found anything

I used a program today and it says my cpu is running at 799mhz
I know for sure that I have a 2.0ghz amd turion
what would cause this?

I think you will find that your video has been allocated the rest of the memory.
799mhz, I do not know! what program did you run?

commented: I'm doing repairs +2

hi from PH,
try to remove your unnecessary files to make your Hard drive free up...
try to clean your parts

that is your hard drive extended memory each drive reserve 3 or 5 % for the virtual memory,your bios show it.

ok so i was going to test my sticks of ram but before i could do anything, i turned on my computer and ...........nothing.
it posts but nothing more than that. it never shows the windows loading screen
is my harddrive locked up?
is all of my ram shot?
what happened?
i will check back soon but that was my only computer

ok so i was going to test my sticks of ram but before i could do anything, i turned on my computer and ...........nothing.
it posts but nothing more than that. it never shows the windows loading screen
is my harddrive locked up?
is all of my ram shot?
what happened?
i will check back soon but that was my only computer

i still havent gotten it to work but i am on a live cd and it works fine
does this mean its my harddrive?

If you have a live cd try running a memtest, usually shown as you boot from CD.

Can you access your hdd from the live cd?

can you find out what is being display for your system spec from the live cd?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.