Hi gang...

Got me a brand new 'puter.....

ASUS A8N SLI Delux
1 gig ram
Win XP home
2 nvidia 128 meg video cards

This system came pre installed so I am not sure what was done on set up but I ma having issues with sending and receiving email via Outlook 2000
and Outlook Express version 6. The error message I get is:

The TCP/IP connection was terminated by the server. POP3 server <server name>, message number 0x800cccf

The motherboard is running a hardware/software based firewall that appears to be ( or I am thinking it is ) blocking the ports that are used by send and receive mail functions in Outlook.

I managed, with no difficulty, to get news up and running using Outlook Express version 6. I can succesfully post to newsgroups.

Also, I had an issue with Norton A/V 2005 not being able to run live update. To resolve this I disabled the software based firewall and like magic everything is fine.

Can anyone tell me how to:

- Determine if the firewall is blocking email ports
- How to correct this.

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

err...

John, are you using Windows XP?

What exactly is the name of the 'hardware/software firewall' you are using?

Please indicate if you have both, the name of the software firewall program and the make/model of the hardware firewall. This is not a motherboard issue, and I'll move it to the appropriate section for you when the information is forthcoming.

err...

John, are you using Windows XP?

What exactly is the name of the 'hardware/software firewall' you are using?

Please indicate if you have both, the name of the software firewall program and the make/model of the hardware firewall. This is not a motherboard issue, and I'll move it to the appropriate section for you when the information is forthcoming.

- Running Windows XP Home
- Firewall name is Active Armor ( not sure of the version as I am at work and away from pc ).

hmmmmmm.......

That's actually a software program which gets installed to control the firewall on your motherboard. I'm not familiar with it, but I'll move the topic to the Windows XP section to see if anyone is.

With it disabled you have no firewall protection, and that's a concern.

Hello,

Open a command prompt. Telnet to your popserver using the following syntax:

telnet my.popserver.com 110

if you get a connection, then you know that the firewall and networking configurations are working fine, and you have something else going on. Could be as simple as a typo inside OE.

Not knowing your depth of expierience using computers, it might not be best, but I suggest that if you are comfortable, you re-format and start the system over from scratch. You mentioned that it came pre-built. While it might take you some time and a lot of work, it is the only way that you will know exactly what is on the machine, and the steps taken to get it there. Any machine I receive into my possession gets rebuilt... even direct from the store. Macs or Linux. That way, I take all the demos and other crap off of them, and have a machine that I can live and grow with.

Christian

Update:

Falling back on basic testing princples and debugging I made sure that Windows XP firewal is off and then conducted the following tests:

1 - Left everything as it was installed and tried sending/recieving email.

No go... Same error message as originally posted.

2 - Turned off Nvidia Firewall but left Automatic Armor on and tried sending/recieving email.

3 - Turned on Nvidia firewall but turned off Automatic Armor and tried to send/recieve email.

4 - Turned off both the Nvidia Firewall and Automatic Armor and tried to send/reciev email.

Bingo - it works.

5 - Turned on Windows XP firewall and tried to send and recieve email.

Bingo - it works.

Note the for tests 1,2 and 3 the live update featutre on Symantec Norton Antivirus 2005 would not work either. For tests 4 and 5 it worked.

I am now using Windows XP firewall only and taking the time to learn all about the Nvidai stuff.

thanks to all that offered help.

Hello,

To answer your question, yes,

telnet pop.broadband.rogers.com 110

is the right command to put in the command line.

Glad things are working.

Christian

This post was over catwzeles head so he didn't think it had anything to do with your post. Which couldn't be further from the truth. He's not a security expert and I don't expect him to be, so it was a honest mistake.

Basically, APPLICATION LEVEL SECURITY IS MEANINGLESS on NT.

Would you run an AV on Linux or FreeBSD or Solaris, etc? Of course not, so why run one for NT which has at least the security capabilities of those other systems? The only systems that benefit from AVs are those with poor architecture that allows random processes unmitigated access, like the Windows (SUE)line Single User Edition. Restrict administrative accounts from running untrusted applications and isolate/restrict standard users in a manner that prevents the virus from being able to propigate.This has the advantage of being immune to new viruses and trojans while requiring no upgrades. Besides, if you have your system setup in a manner that makes virus propigation not possible, why waste the time scanning?

Secondly, I would hope you are all aware that ALL firewalls are software, some just run on very limited operating systems rather than general purpose opersting systems and on specialized hardware rather than general hardware. Firewalls should be divided by type or generation, since this actually allows for a sane comparison. Lastly,before we get some replies, are you to take the word of the masses here? Something about the "least common denominator" should ring true.

Your post was split off because it is a side issue which is a discussion topic and which does not directly provide assistance in response to the topic starter's question.

'Over my head' or not, you're pushing a personal barrow, dude, and I've given you a separate topic to push it in. Please continue your comments there, as further discussion of this topic hijack attempt will be deleted!

Edit: by the way, think yourself fortunate. I recently closed another topic because it was the tired old LINUX>WINOWS dross, and I allowed yours because it was a fresh approach ;)

Your post was split off because it is a side issue which is a discussion topic and which does not directly provide assistance in response to the topic starter's question.

'Over my head' or not, you're pushing a personal barrow, dude, and I've given you a separate topic to push it in. Please continue your comments there, as further discussion of this topic hijack attempt will be deleted!

Edit: by the way, think yourself fortunate. I recently closed another topic because it was the tired old LINUX>WINOWS dross, and I allowed yours because it was a fresh approach ;)

I'm not here to argue, just to educate.

So try pulling your head out from where it's stuck and have a realistic attempt at doing just that, eh? regardless of your claims elsewhere, you posted a suggestion which implies that people should discontinue using AV software. If that was not your intent, then you should look carefully at the way you express yourself.

If education is the goal, ego gets in the way of it ;)

So try pulling your head out from where it's stuck and have a realistic attempt at doing just that, eh? regardless of your claims elsewhere, you posted a suggestion which implies that people should discontinue using AV software. If that was not your intent, then you should look carefully at the way you express yourself.

If education is the goal, ego gets in the way of it ;)

That's essentially what I said because it true. If you read your sub-cat-thread you'll find real world security standards. Read the link in the other thread. Start there if you have any more questions my PM box is always open.

PS: The rudeness is un called for.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.