My default games have vanished(minesweeper etc.)
I am unable to reinstall games from my xp cd which is a xp prof sp2, I have upgraded to sp3.
I tried to reinstall from Add/Remove programs, Add/Remove components and get the following msg.
The file freecell on Windows xp cd/rom is needed.
Type the file path where the file is located and type ok.
In the file path the following is entered. C/Windows\PreInstalli386.
Type ok does not work anything out.
The issue is the files are missing, how can I reinstall my default games.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

My default games have vanished(minesweeper etc.)
I am unable to reinstall games from my xp cd which is a xp prof sp2, I have upgraded to sp3.
I tried to reinstall from Add/Remove programs, Add/Remove components and get the following msg.
The file freecell on Windows xp cd/rom is needed.
Type the file path where the file is located and type ok.
In the file path the following is entered. C/Windows\PreInstalli386.
Type ok does not work anything out.
The issue is the files are missing, how can I reinstall my default games.

You say you have the XP Pro CD, correct? Place the CD in tray, and a screen should open asking what you want to do. Click on "Install Optional Windows Components". A new window will open.
Uncheck everything except "Accessories and Utilities". Then highlight that option and click "Details". Uncheck Accessories but leave Games checked.
Click next and your games should be reinstalled.

Tried your solution , no luck, problem still persists. I am unable to add or remove any of the components. The wizard opens starts the file copy process, the msg. comes up: the file freecell on xp cd rom is needed,(note my cd rom is xp sp2) I am now running sp 3,and do not have the cd rom.

You may try going back to Add/Remove Components and when it asks for where to go for files, type "D:/sp2_pro_rtm" without the quotes since that is where the files should be (assuming D is your CD drive and disk is inserted). The fact you have SP3 should not matter since that is an update only, and the files should be on your original XP PRO disk

You may try going back to Add/Remove Components and when it asks for where to go for files, type "D:/sp2_pro_rtm" without the quotes since that is where the files should be (assuming D is your CD drive and disk is inserted). The fact you have SP3 should not matter since that is an update only, and the files should be on your original XP PRO disk

Error Message:
Copy Error:
Ensure that the location specified is correct or change it.
Location specified. C\Windows\Preinstall\i386.
I changed the location to: F:sp2_pro_rtm (F my CD drive)
Received the following Error msg:
set up cannot copy the file free cell exe.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.