Hi iam fixing a computer for a friend and the problem is that windows xp pro wont start. I turn it on and it goes through all the stuff at the start you know looking for the primary drive and stuff and than it comes up with a black screen and on it you can select to to start windows normaly or start with the last config thing. It also has some safe made things like safe mode with command prompt. Also it has a count down from 30 at the bottom and when it reached 0 it starts windows normaly. I have tried every option but none work it comes up with the windows xp screen with that loading bar it than flashes something blue and starts from the start again nothing i do helps it just keeps going through the above over and over again.

Please Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

Hi iam fixing a computer for a friend and the problem is that windows xp pro wont start. I turn it on and it goes through all the stuff at the start you know looking for the primary drive and stuff and than it comes up with a black screen and on it you can select to to start windows normaly or start with the last config thing. It also has some safe made things like safe mode with command prompt. Also it has a count down from 30 at the bottom and when it reached 0 it starts windows normaly. I have tried every option but none work it comes up with the windows xp screen with that loading bar it than flashes something blue and starts from the start again nothing i do helps it just keeps going through the above over and over again.

try safe mode, if it wont boot up in safe mode your probally looking at a reinstall

HAHA you broke it, thats why I never trust anyone with my pc unless they could pay for the damages they cause

HAHA you broke it, thats why I never trust anyone with my pc unless they could pay for the damages they cause

Now Now be nice it was all ready broke Remember ,he is fixing a friends computer !!

Anyway have you tried a repair with the xp cd . If it doesn't boot to the cd then make changes to the boot sequence in the Bios .and then boot to xp cd ,and choose R for repair ,

It'd be nice to know what it's barfing about in the blue screen as that will sometimes tell you what you need to do to fix it...I guess usually I'd start by replacing the system file if possible:

1. Start your computer with the Windows Setup floppy disks or with the Windows CD-ROM.
  2. At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press R to repair a Windows installation.
  3. Press C to start the Windows Recovery Console. Type the number for the Windows installation that you want to repair, and then press ENTER.
  4. Type the administrator password, and then press ENTER.

Ok...so then you change directory (cd C:\WINDOWS\repair) you might find a file called system.bak which can be copied as system to overwrite the system file in c:\windows\system32\config...this should revert back to the last time a system backup was performed. Sometimes you can get lucky if it's just a driver corruption and windows will boot. You might have to reinstall some devices afterwards.

Yes, and if that does not work go to the Welcome screen on the booted CD, go to Install windows, then press R for repair. It will reinstall everything and leave you same settings and programs installed.

Since you were trying to help to fix, something probably was already broken, maybe seperatly from xp.

Open the case and clear the fans from dust and check all the plugs for maybe they are loose. (when pc is OFF)

Also check for fans that are not spinning (when PC is ON)

Finally, make sure the hard drives are setup correctly (prim, (mas/slv) sec, (mas/slv))

and if any new hardware was recently installed, remove it and try again with alternative hardware.

Then try to run the system using the original xp cd and choose repair installation so you can diagnostic it and let it process through i/o drivers which might screw things up.

this is happening exactly to my PC now. I wonder if you have fixed this issue and if you do, could you please let me know how you remedied it.

Thanks

this is happening exactly to my PC now. I wonder if you have fixed this issue and if you do, could you please let me know how you remedied it.

Thanks

HOW DID YOU FIX IT? I HAD SAME PROBLEM AND MISLOCATED MY XP CD... PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE CORRECTED THE PROBLEM.

THANKS

HOW DID YOU FIX IT? I HAD SAME PROBLEM AND MISLOCATED MY XP CD... PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE CORRECTED THE PROBLEM.

THANKS

Generally, you could replace corrupt system files. However, you need the installation CD. If you don't have it, try system restore...

Heck, fiddling with the OS is the best way to learn. I remember when I got my first PC(A state of the art Celeron @ 333MHz, 2.1Gig, 32 MB, PCI VGA, ISA sound card). I fiddled with it so much that I had to reinstall Windows 98 6 times within the span of one month. I was like "Hmm. The computer says modifying/deleting the contents of the Windows folder may cause the machine to stop working. Let's see what happens." So, I just deleted the contents of the Windows folder. And voila! Messed up computer...

I got the same problem...Help??

I remember when I got my first PC(A state of the art Celeron @ 333MHz, 2.1Gig, 32 MB, PCI VGA, ISA sound card

When i was 5 (1994) i used a pc with a 250mb hdd, 10mb ram, windows 3.11 and (the height of high tech) a modem, sound blaster and CD drive

Its still running today.

This is a very common problem and i see it all the time. It is caused by faulty drivers, bad hardware, or internal components have came partially disconnected. But overall the problem is usually with the windows partiton. I have fixed this problem many times simply running CHKDSK from the recovery console.

1. Boot computer with Windows CD
2. Press R to goto the recovery console when prompted to
3. Selected your windows installtion when prompted and enter password if prompted
4. type "CHKDSK c: /r" as the command line

Once chkdsk is complete restart the pc and it will boot normally if it was a partition or disk error. To prevent this problem i manually run the utility about once a month to keep things running right.

my windows don't start up....it's seem to stuck in there " windows Downloading" help...

Hi zanjie.

First of all- welcome to Daniweb :).

We ask that members not piggy-back questions on to a thread previously started by another member here in the Viruses, Spyware & other Nasties forum, (regardless of how similar your problem might seem). Not only does it divert the focus of the thread away from the original poster's problem, but it also makes it less likely that you yourself will get the individual attention that you need.

Please start your own thread and post your question there. When you do, please try to give us as much specific info as possible regarding the problem (exact error messages, system specs, etc.).

For a full description of our posting guidelines and general rules of conduct, please see this page:

http://www.daniweb.com/forums/faq.php?faq=daniweb_policies

Thanks for understanding.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.