I already posted this in the windows forum before realizing there was a forum for precisely this. Anybody who can help, please do.

:::::
Alright, this is fairly urgent, so if any of you could help me out, I would be very grateful. As of yesterday evening when my mother was using this computer, everything was fine. All systems and documents seemed normal. When I got on last night, practically every document on the PC seemed to have disappeared. This was limited to pictures and text files, and only the local ones I believe, as items in the shared folder seem to have been spared. In addition, no programs were modified by this. It was only the documents on the computer. This morning when I logged on, it gave me this message as I signed on to the profile for Owner:

Windows cannot load the locally stored profile. Possible causes of this error include insufficient security rights or a corrupt local profile. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator.

DETAIL - An I/O operation initiated by the registry failed unrecoverably. The registry could not read in, or write out, or flush, one of the files that contain the system's image of the registry.

I don't understand what this means, or what I can do about it. If anybody can give me some advice, I would be unbelievably grateful. Thank you in advance for your help
:::::

Thank you very much.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

That does sound like corruption of a user profile, althought the cause might not be of a malicious nature. Do you if any changes at all were made to the system just prior to the problem occurring?

See if any of the information and suggestions in this thread can help:

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Q_21307901.html

I'd rather not subscribe to any services, unless I absolutely must. Is there anybody here who can copy and paste the response for me? Otherwise, does anybody know if it would be easy to drop my subscription after the first month?

Did you scroll down? The answer to that is visible on my PC, and I'm most certainly NOT logged in there!

Did you scroll down? The answer to that is visible on my PC, and I'm most certainly NOT logged in there!

Exactly. You don't have to subscribe; just scroll further down the page to view the thread.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.