Hi,

I've just upgraded & bought a new tower consisting of;

AMD 3500+ CPU
GA-K8NF-9 Mother Board
1gig Kingmax DDR400 RAM
Winfast PX6600GT TDH Extreme Version Graphics Card
200gig Seagate SATA hard disk
CD Rom etc etc

I've kept my old Honeywell (FCC ID:AQ6-92K15) keyboard & MX1000 Logitech Mouse. I have XP Home & have used this disk to reinstall Windows after a format heaps of times on the older machine without anything like this problem.

After formatting the new drive & reinstalling XP, my keyboard won't work. If I go to device manager & unistall the keyboard then reboot it works, but if I then reboot again without uninstalling the keyboard it won't work?? :eek:

I have tried this many times & the result is always the same, uninstall & reboot...fine, just reboot....NOT FINE! :mad:

Device manager has a yellow exclamation mark & "right click/properties" is giving me an error stating it couldn't be started & giving me a code 10 error, I've trouble shooted in device manager but to no avail. I've searched the Web without success. I've deleted the keyboard drivers out of C:\Windows\Inf & I've tried using another keyboard....same results.

Would there be anyone who may be able to help, anything is appreciated, I'm at the stage where I will try any suggestions.

Thanks in advance
<).."(>
(..)~ )

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Sounds like either a bad keyboard or a bad keyboard controller.

Try using a different keyboard, if that doesn't work you're looking at a new motherboard (though sometimes a USB keyboard works when a PS/2 keyboard doesn't, but that's rare).

Sounds like either a bad keyboard or a bad keyboard controller.

Try using a different keyboard, if that doesn't work you're looking at a new motherboard (though sometimes a USB keyboard works when a PS/2 keyboard doesn't, but that's rare).

I've already tried a new keyboard & the motherboard is brand new already, I only bought it on Sunday with the other items in the machine.

Thanks anyway.
:D

I've already tried a new keyboard & the motherboard is brand new already, I only bought it on Sunday with the other items in the machine.

Thanks anyway.
:D

Hey buddy. I found the solution to your problem if you still have it. :D

The fix is to disable USB Mouse Support in BIOS. That will free up the resources the keyboard needs to load properly in Windows. It also does not affect a USB mouse if you are wondering.

I have the same motherboard and searched high and low for a fix becuase I didn't want to return my motherboard (yet again). I've been through 3 power supplys and two motherboards until I finally got a system working properly. I'm now a happy camper!! :)

Hope this works for you.

Ken
Living on Cloud 9 somewhere about Ottawa, Ontario Canada

G'day Ken,

Mate, sounds pretty promising, I do have USB mouse enabled in the BIOS (cause I have a USB mouse). Unfortunately I have solved the problem by purchasing a USB Microsoft keyboard....least it works.

Doesn't really matter because Dad has my old system with my old keyboard which works fine with it.

Really appreciate your response & I'll definately throw that in the memory banks for later use if needed. :cheesy:

Thanks again
Greg.

Just an FYI: You can use a USB mouse without USB Mouse support enabled in the BIOS. I think it's a DOS thing, emulating PS/2 functionality when the BIOS recognizes there's a USB mouse.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.