Hi folks, my desktop icons have diasppeared and i have tried every trick on the book including tweakui to repair the icons no success please help. have tried to sefe boot nothing helps.

Recommended Answers

All 25 Replies

Might I make a suggestion:

Open up Notepad. Copy and paste this into it:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop]
"NoChangingWallpaper"=dword:00000000
"NoComponents"=dword:00000001
"NoAddingComponents"=dword:00000001
"NoDeletingComponents"=dword:00000000
"NoEditingComponents"=dword:00000000
"NoHTMLWallPaper"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoDriveTypeAutoRun"=dword:00000000
"NoActiveDesktop"=dword:00000001
"ClassicShell"=dword:00000000
"ForceActiveDesktopOn"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
"DisableRegistryTools"=dword:00000000
"NoDispAppearancePage"=dword:00000000
"DisableTaskMgr"=dword:00000000

Then, go to Save As... Under file type, click All (*.*) (not *.txt), type in desktop_icons.reg and hit Save. Make sure to backup your registry before doing this, it shouldn't harm anytihng severely, anyways. Then, have Windows open the file. It should ask you if you want to add information to the registry. Hit yes, and it will tell you that it's done. Then, go to your desktop, right-click, and hit "Refresh".

Again, I'm not 100% sure about it, but it might work.

Which icons are you talking about ?? My computer, My documents etc. ?? if your windows is xp .. then just right click desktop ... properties ... desktop ... customize desktop ... and check the icons you want on your desktop.

maybe a victim of the accidental execution of a "windows desktop cleanup wizard"?

what do you think sani? its been a while since i've been around so im a bit behind..

just a thought,
Cain

Which icons are you talking about ?? My computer, My documents etc. ?? if your windows is xp .. then just right click desktop ... properties ... desktop ... customize desktop ... and check the icons you want on your desktop.

Problem: Desktop is blank, only wallpaper is displayed, icons and taskbar diappeared. Rightclick doesnt work. explorer.exe not working. Can't use kelly's tweaks as they don't start (I believe due to explorer.exe not working). Tried to activate it by running it at task manager, not having any of it. Adaware couldn't find any virus or worm, etc. It feels like a program is blocking explorer.exe from running as it tries and the taskbar appears for half a second but then vanishes again. Tried creating new user, the same problem. Tried launching system restore it doesn't let me go to a previous date as no other date is bold. Finally I am thinking of xp repair install.

Any suggestions from anybody?

Hi abetse,

I had half of your problem, i.e., I lost my taskbar. Couldn´t fix it no matter what I tried. Finally, I found this fix and it worked:

http://home.earthlink.net/~leetutor/FixWin/DeskTask/misstbar.htm

It´s only been a little while since I got my taskbar back so I can´t verify it´ll stay fixed or that it isn´t a still-resident virus. Also, you have more missing than I did (I still had desktop icons) but at least you have a place to start. I´ll be interested to see if this helps you.

Just thought I´d do a search and see if anybody needed the fix. I´m going to start running virus and spyware pgms on that computer now. Good luck!

commented: amazing fix for a bad problem, thanks +1
commented: good! +1

Thanks zeroth, that did it for me and I've been trying for days to fix this problem

you are welcome, it´s still working for me...

commented: many thanks! +1
commented: yeah +1

Problem: Desktop is blank, only wallpaper is displayed, icons and taskbar diappeared. Rightclick doesnt work. explorer.exe not working. Can't use kelly's tweaks as they don't start (I believe due to explorer.exe not working). Tried to activate it by running it at task manager, not having any of it. Adaware couldn't find any virus or worm, etc. It feels like a program is blocking explorer.exe from running as it tries and the taskbar appears for half a second but then vanishes again. Tried creating new user, the same problem. Tried launching system restore it doesn't let me go to a previous date as no other date is bold. Finally I am thinking of xp repair install.

Any suggestions from anybody?

I have the same exact problem!! fixed some of it by changing a few regedit keys but cant seem to catch them all.. Looks like there is a some batch files that is cause all these reg changes..If anyone found the exact fix. please post it.Thanks

boot to safe mode,and if icons are there>start>run>msconfig>put check beside selective startup on general page>click on startup tab>uncheck ipmon32>apply>close>restart>done.

I got a big problem on my hands here. I went through this entire thread, went through all the links, tried all te suggestions. My whole desktop is blank, and i cannot right click. If i try using ctrl and esc, the start menu does not come up, no matter how many times i try. Because of that, i cannot access registry editor, which is my last hope. Can anybody help me with this problem?

Nvm. For anyone else who has this problem, another way to open registry editor, open task manger, new task, then put only this in the text box: regedit.exe
then open it up, and your on your way to get your computer fixed

Hi dssabato,
Facing a simillar problem - can you please describe how you fixed it with the registry editor?

My problem was easily solved (Show icons in rt click menu).

Might I make a suggestion:

Open up Notepad. Copy and paste this into it:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop]
"NoChangingWallpaper"=dword:00000000
"NoComponents"=dword:00000001
"NoAddingComponents"=dword:00000001
"NoDeletingComponents"=dword:00000000
"NoEditingComponents"=dword:00000000
"NoHTMLWallPaper"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoDriveTypeAutoRun"=dword:00000000
"NoActiveDesktop"=dword:00000001
"ClassicShell"=dword:00000000
"ForceActiveDesktopOn"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
"DisableRegistryTools"=dword:00000000
"NoDispAppearancePage"=dword:00000000
"DisableTaskMgr"=dword:00000000

Then, go to Save As... Under file type, click All (*.*) (not *.txt), type in desktop_icons.reg and hit Save. Make sure to backup your registry before doing this, it shouldn't harm anytihng severely, anyways. Then, have Windows open the file. It should ask you if you want to add information to the registry. Hit yes, and it will tell you that it's done. Then, go to your desktop, right-click, and hit "Refresh".

Again, I'm not 100% sure about it, but it might work.

...ActiveDesktop] and ...System] are not necessary for a normal functioning of the desktop.
So, why risk implementing your solution?

Blank desktop, no icons, taskbar or right click funtionality.

Kill explorer, if it's running, and rerun explorer.exe from task manager

Go to Task Manager, processes: explorer.exe. Highlight it, Option, End Task, Confirm.

Then under Task Manager, go File New Task, type "explorer.exe" run, and it brought icons back almost instantly.

I have the exact same problem except... seems to cause "...must close..." errors on some programs I think (games and such)... only makes the desktop disappear after I go into My Computer/C:/Programs Files/
Please help nothing seems to work!!!

BTW I tried the above solution but after I open simple startup in the general tab I can't find the check box you were referring to...
please help!
doesn't seem to be a virus! :-/

OMG: seems not to be only when I open program files but whenever I open My Computer!!! what the hell is with that?!

Were you ever able to fix this? I am having this problem now and nothing is working. HELP!

Hi folks, my desktop icons have diasppeared and i have tried every trick on the book including tweakui to repair the icons no success please help. have tried to sefe boot nothing helps.

The same thing happened to me and the only way I can find to access any file or folders is to go throught task manager and start new task. HELP!!!!

to repair missing desktop icons go to -

<snip>

to repair missing desktop icons go to -

<snip>

download FixIEDef and run a scan to repair your missing icons.

Why are you running around the web, posting links to my program?

When the program in question is a specialized tool and not designed for what you are posting.

Stop spamming my tool all over the web.

Before trying anything with your registry settings make sure that you are allowing windows to "Show Desktop Icons". You can do this by Right-Clicking on the desktop and then select "Arrange Icons By" and make sure that the "Show Desktop Icons" is ticked. Hope this makes sense and helps.

thanks MarshMellaFella,

I ran this program AVG PC Tuneup 2011 and it caused some of my Windows icons not to work anymore. Afer a couple hours, I found FixIEDef and it brought all my icons back just like Martin said above.

I ran this program AVG PC Tuneup 2011 and it caused some of my Windows icons not to work anymore. Afer a couple hours, I found FixIEDef and it brought all my icons back just like Martin said above.

I am the author of FixIEDef, and as previously stated you are using the program in a manner for which is wasn't designed.

FixIEDef is a specialty malware removal tool and should not be used unless you are advised, by someone well versed in malware removal, to use the FixIEDef.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.