I am running XP and have formatted before with no problems.
Yesterday I started to format and when it was at the point of installing windows, we heard a large crack of thunder and the power went out for a minute, which in turn shut my computer down. When I restarted it, it had returned to the part where it said 'Setup is being restarted" It continued on installing but I had to put in all the info again Ie Product Key, etc. Yes my Product Key is legit and good.
It makes it all the way till the last 3 minutes then loops back and starts reinstalling again!
When I checked the error log it states:
Error: Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\Windows\system32\eventcls.dll because of the following error 2147549183 (8000ffff)
Error: Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\Windows\system32\swprv.dll because of the following error 2147549183 (8000ffff)
I am at a loss as to what to do next?
Do I need a new hard drive or something else?
Please note I am comfortable trying anything to fix anything on my computer but am not a tech and won't understand real tech talk.
Thanks for any help.

Formatting.. installing... they are very different things. It could be that Setup thinks it has written files but there are errors which it has not noticed upon resuming installation.
Okay, try a full check of your disk surface - you can get Setup to do that: start Setup afresh, if there are no other partitions on it then delete the old partition and create a new one, then or else do a Full Format of your selected partition, go on with the installation.
[A quick format deletes the old Master File Table, a full format does that plus chkdsk of that partition].

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.