Ok... so I am running a Hp Pavillion 512c. I plan to get better ram for it so I can run what I want/need. The thing of the matter is it is all hand me downs. I will be getting a 40G HD and a 60G, one is nearly full (the smaller of the two) and one is nearly empty. I plan on setting up a dual-boot into Fedora (though I suspect my questions on that go elsewhere). I also have to accommodate a second user... who is prone to having a lack of computer savvy. What I'm wondering, and hope to get help with a couple of things. Can I create a partition just for their User Account (so if they download bugs or catch something bad it won't affect me)? will I be able to partition this late into the HDs' lifespans? If yes, how so? Any and all help would be appreciated :)

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

PartitionMagic. or Gparted in Linux

You can have two copies of windows on an System. Different partitions ofcourse.

Two copies of windows? Is that the best way to separate their files from mine? (I'm gonna guess here, would it be because of the whole shared and common files issue?)

(so if they download bugs or catch something bad it won't affect me)?

It the best method in regards to that statement.

To separate files, a new User will suffice just save important files in My document. and give the other user lesser privilege.

"Can I create a partition just for their User Account (so if they download bugs or catch something bad it won't affect me)?" No, a partition just for them won't change a thing, security-wise. But you can restrict the damage by only giving them a User account.
"will I be able to partition this late into the HDs' lifespans?" Why are you keeping the data that is on the hdds already? But yes, you can.. linux [GParted] will allow you to easily shrink a pre-existing partition as long as it has free space. Which you create by deleting rubbish.
"You can have two copies of windows on an System." That means two licenses. And a lot of bloat... two AVs [they will not greatly, mutually interfere in this case], two firewalls, ...2 of everything... a loss of precious disk space. And no extra security from a virus, as distinct from trojans, worms and other spyware...

Thanks guys... this should be all I need to know to get everything on track my way! :)

And no extra security from a virus, as distinct from trojans, worms and other spyware..

You see in most cases A virus only enters a system dude to user negligence.
No matter how good the AV or Firewall is if the user decides to disable the Protection.

I have seen this so many times users they download something "important" and "The stupid" anti virus is blocking it guess what they will do? Temporarily disable AV all hell breaks lose. In this scenario you would be happy with the two partitions.

Another thing you may like doing is Install Linux and run a Windows Virtual Machine.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.