So, I have a new computer and old back-up files that I desperately need a document from...problem: the old back was done on Nero Burning, and my new computer does not have the program, and I do not have the program, and all the documents/files on the back up disc are .nco extensions...any ideas? They are "read only" and on a disc, so I can't change the file extensions or rename them.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Ah, a proprietary trap. If you have many such files, you need Nero. If you only wish to use a few at a time, just rclick each and extract to somewhere with WINRAR, or similar. Bulk extraction of a group of files with WINRAR may not extract all files, but may be worth a try. WINRAR is no longer free. Nero uses a compression algoritm [if you left it set so], hence the need for a decompressor like WINRAR. I have not bothered checking exactly which algorithm is used... there are likely free decompressors available which will handle the job. Like 7zip, which I found very good as a general pgm to keep for such zipping/unzipping, but in the end chose WINRAR because it is slightly more comprehensive.
Okay.. I just created some Nero backups, test installed 7zip, and applied it to extracting first one file, then a batch of files, and it succeeded on both counts beautifully. Get 7zip.
The yards I went for you.:)

commented: IT IS SO GOOD TO SEE PEOPLE ACTUALLY HELPING EACH OTHER FOR A CHANGE! THANKS, GERBIL! THE EXTRA YARDS ARE SO APPRECIATED! YOU ROCK! +0

thanks, Gerbil. I haven't tried it yet, but I did try a trial period of Nero to open them and just got stuck in a loop. I believe it is designed to frustrate me into paying too much for an exclusive program-again! I will try the 7zip, and I owe you one.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.