Hello, all

I have no sound on DVD's on my XP Pro machine. CD, MP3 etc all play fine, but when attempting to play a DVD there is video but no sound.
I am using XP with all service packs up to date, a generic DVD-RW. The audio control panel is SoundMAX, and Nero is installed. I have tried to play movies in Windows Media v. 10 and in InterActual (since uninstalled.)

I have heard in the past that a jump wire may be required to connect the DVD to the sound card. If this is the case, how do I find out? And why would I be able to play CDs?

Where do I start?

Thanks

Rob

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Hello, all

I have no sound on DVD's on my XP Pro machine. CD, MP3 etc all play fine, but when attempting to play a DVD there is video but no sound.
I am using XP with all service packs up to date, a generic DVD-RW. The audio control panel is SoundMAX, and Nero is installed. I have tried to play movies in Windows Media v. 10 and in InterActual (since uninstalled.)

I have heard in the past that a jump wire may be required to connect the DVD to the sound card. If this is the case, how do I find out? And why would I be able to play CDs?

Where do I start?

Thanks

Rob

I have the same problem on a XP Home machine. Everything was OK until I changed some settings (dumb). I know I can restore Windows but didn't see the problem until after installing several programs and would rather not repeat all I have done.

Thanks,

Ernie

There must be a setting somewhere??????

I'm not sure what caused this problem but it happened to me too. Neither windows media player nor Power DVD 10 won't play sound with dvds. I did find out that it works fine with VLC media player, that program can play almost anything. Download: http://vlc-media-player.en.softonic.com/

best of luck.

try this,Open 'My Computer', right click on your DVD drive, select
properties, select hardware, highlight your DVD drive, click on properties,
then properties again, check- Enable digital CD audio for this CD-ROM
device.

Is your sound card is on board or a PCI card type? Some older sound card especially the PCI sound card need to hard wire to the DVD. You have to open up your computer to check. Nowadays modern computer doesn't need the wire.

Go in to control panel, check sound card settings and disable audio enhancements this will make sure that your computer is set to use stereo only, many DVDs have enhanced sound, and often it is also 5.1, your player can be set to use the 'stereo only' that is on the DVD too, check in the settings. many DVD's have to be set in their menu screens also.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.