I ran a program that replaced important system files (of course I was not planning for that to happen) so when I boot up my computer I get the following error message.

When the welcome screen should come up:

stop: c000021a {fatal system errors}
The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x80000004 (0x0000000000 0x0000000000).
The system has been shut down.

This is strictly a software problem.
I am running Windows XP Pro.

I really don't want to have to do a clean install. I'm on the same computer now but with a different hard drive but I can access files on the other one.
Any help would be appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

umm...fine
It was an activation code patch for Turbo Tax.
supposedly.
yes i'm dumb for running it and even downloading it but it's been done

I'm backing up my most important files and trying the recovery console on the xp cd now. I'll let you know how that goes.

good luck! ... how's it coming along?

I tried loading the "Last Known Good Configuration" and that didn't work.
I tried the recovery console and couldn't find a command that would do the trick.
I was about to format when I was given the option to "Repair a Windows Installation". I did that and it works now. All of my files are untouched, my programs are still installed. Microsoft's coolness has just gone up.

I was about to format when I was given the option to "Repair a Windows Installation". I did that and it works now. All of my files are untouched, my programs are still installed. Microsoft's coolness has just gone up.

Sssssssshhhhhhhhhhhh!! People have made careers out of bashing Microsoft. ;-)

kewl beans
congrats ...

A lot of times I find that that Repair utility seems to do the trick at first, and then after a day or so of playing around you start to notice lots of lil quirks showing up all over the place.

So far I've only had one quirk, Windows Media Player 8 but I just installed 9 so it's ok. Besides that it's been pretty quirk-less. I keep a good downloads folder so I think I'll be ok no matter what. That second hard drive is pretty nice to have. All I had to do was swap them to get a working computer again.

hai
i think your system which is installed with the xp as u r os is not working due to loss of some necessary files in system 32 and some relevent files in windows,this makes u r os to perform like this ,so reinstall an original version of windows xp,u r problems will be solved

The Queen has prolly given you fair warning that there may be a lurker from your original screw up. Maybe you should post a HJT log so that we can see if there's anything showing - or maybe you're up to it yourself, of course.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.