Hi
I have a Dell latitude D610 running Windows XP svc pk 3...recently everytime without exception when I boot my computer the black screen appears with the error message ...'apologies for the inconvenience but due to an unexpected error power failure etc etc windows did not load properly' and then gives me the standard options to log on. I have tried a million and one things to resolve this but have failed. Everything else on my computer runs perfectly OK, I have tried my Windows XP CD and even reloaded the system..nothing works.
I suppose I could live with the error message, except for the fact it bugs the hell out of me.....ANY suggestions please, many thanks

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

So, are you saying that despite the error message windows loads and works fine?

We will need to know EXACTLY what error message you are getting in order to help!

Hi apologies...ok the exact message is
We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows
Normally.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)

Start Windows Normally

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.

Seconds until Windows starts: 30"

It makes no difference which of the 5 options is chosen, it always goes back to the same screen when i boot the computer.

Yes..ALL other areas of the computer once logged into Windows are fine and work as normal.

What version of windows and do you have a windows install cd?

windows xp 3 professional.. I have a CD which I got seperate from the computer (legite!)but I dont have the passwords for the bioss part..if that means anything to you

Bobby, when you reloaded the system [re-installed Windows?] did you do a normal/full format of the system partition rather than a quick format? If not, you might try running chkdsk [rclick Local Disk C:, > Properties >Tools > Error Checking/Check now, check both boxes and Start it].

what method do you use to shut down windows when you are finished

I think you just turn the power off instead of a proper shutdown. You got to click Start, Shutdown and than Shutdown again and wait for the screen to turn blank.

Hi Gerbil
Thanks for your help..I ran the disc check as suggested and it returned all normal..
I shut down in the normal manner START, Turn Off Computer,Shutdown..I dont just press power shutdown, Never..
I have noticed that recently shutting down hangs a bit and can often take up to a minutue before it closes.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.