Hi, I have an issue with my Dual Booting XP Pro & Home computer. I've worked through most of the issues, but am still running into a big snag. Help is much appreciated.

Situation Below:
- Windows Pro HD
- Windows Home HD

When I select Windows Pro to boot, everything works fine.
When I select Windows Home to boot, it starts to boot then screen goes black as the computer restarts. Following boots bring up the alternate boot screen, but none of the Safemodes or Previous Configurations work.

I've tried booting the Windows Home drive as the only Harddrive, but the same issue occurs. Everytime it begins to boot up in safemode it gets as far as "Drivers" folder, then restarts. This leads me to believe some drivers may be the problem.

I boot into Windows Recovery Console, but am only able to Access the Windows Pro Installation. Is there a way to run Windows Recovery Console from a Command Prompt?

If not what could be a possible culprit for the Windows Home Installation not botting?

Help is appreciated,
Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hi, I have an issue with my Dual Booting XP Pro & Home computer. I've worked through most of the issues, but am still running into a big snag. Help is much appreciated.

Situation Below:
- Windows Pro HD
- Windows Home HD

When I select Windows Pro to boot, everything works fine.
When I select Windows Home to boot, it starts to boot then screen goes black as the computer restarts. Following boots bring up the alternate boot screen, but none of the Safemodes or Previous Configurations work.

I've tried booting the Windows Home drive as the only Harddrive, but the same issue occurs. Everytime it begins to boot up in safemode it gets as far as "Drivers" folder, then restarts. This leads me to believe some drivers may be the problem.

I boot into Windows Recovery Console, but am only able to Access the Windows Pro Installation. Is there a way to run Windows Recovery Console from a Command Prompt?

If not what could be a possible culprit for the Windows Home Installation not botting?

Help is appreciated,
Thanks.

1. Call up windows.
2. Seyestem restore.

Darkfire, there are many ways to load up the Recovery Console. I'd recommend only leaving the XP Home drive connected and trying to load the Recovery Console by using the XP Home CD.

I would like to know why you are dual booting Home and Pro. There are very minor differences between these two OSes if you don't run IIS. I'd recommend just sticking with one OS, XP Pro. Is there a specific reason why you need access to Pro and Home from the same machine?

Hey guys,

The reason initially was so I could run a different set of Drivers and Optimize each installation for a certain set of goals. However, I've found that the program that I was primarily looking to use one of the installations for is'nt going to work well anyway, so I'll just take some time and format/reinstall WIn Home again and see if that resolves it.

Thanks for the help :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.