Hello Group,

I'm running with MS XP Professional, version 2002, service pack 3.

Many of you may well have already heard that there are some problems being encountered by some users with trying to install the update for SQL S/Pack 3. KB970892.

As I do a lot of traveling with my work, I dropped the laptop off to a highly recommended technician in the hope that he could resolve this for me.

On my return he told me he had removed the software "SQL Server 2005 S/P-3" as I "probably never use it", and sent me on my way.

Despite this I still have in my Program list the following:- MS SQL Server Desktop Engine, MS SQL Serv Native Client, MS SQL Serv Setup Support and MS SQL Serv VSS Writer.

As yet I don't believe I've had a problem due to the absence of SQL Server 2005, but wouldn't bet on it.

And at least 3 times a day the MS Automatic Updates software tries to download and install the Security Update fix from KB item 970892.

Would be most grateful if any list member could point out to me something I should do to restore the status quo and resolve this ongoing problem. Using either of the MS "System Restore" tool or the IBM/Lenovo Rescue and Recovery package have not helped either to recover SQL Server 2005 or to rectify the update implementation problem.

In all fairness to MS, I have to say that in fifteen years of using their products, I've never suffered the "blue screen of death" and this is the first hiccup I've had with an Automatic Update.

Colleagues, your assistance is most gratefully sought in resolving this hiccup.

With kind regards,
Russell Dunn
Ferlach, Austria.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

i can not imagine why Microsoft will keep and update on their servers that gives problems, however i am unskilled in SQL and therefor should probably not make any comments on that, mabe its time to upgrade to win 7 :)

I have fixed 3 or 4 Pcs with this problem , it is caused when you run the system repair from Cd , the computer shops do it all the time it changes the registry back to the old values and the installation in registry wont work you have to go into the registry and delete and change one line instructions near the bottom of this MS Page <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718> go to the advanced trouble shoot and follow instructions takes 5 minutes , Sue

Hello Group,

I'm running with MS XP Professional, version 2002, service pack 3.

Many of you may well have already heard that there are some problems being encountered by some users with trying to install the update for SQL S/Pack 3. KB970892.

As I do a lot of traveling with my work, I dropped the laptop off to a highly recommended technician in the hope that he could resolve this for me.

On my return he told me he had removed the software "SQL Server 2005 S/P-3" as I "probably never use it", and sent me on my way.

Despite this I still have in my Program list the following:- MS SQL Server Desktop Engine, MS SQL Serv Native Client, MS SQL Serv Setup Support and MS SQL Serv VSS Writer.

As yet I don't believe I've had a problem due to the absence of SQL Server 2005, but wouldn't bet on it.

And at least 3 times a day the MS Automatic Updates software tries to download and install the Security Update fix from KB item 970892.

Would be most grateful if any list member could point out to me something I should do to restore the status quo and resolve this ongoing problem. Using either of the MS "System Restore" tool or the IBM/Lenovo Rescue and Recovery package have not helped either to recover SQL Server 2005 or to rectify the update implementation problem.

In all fairness to MS, I have to say that in fifteen years of using their products, I've never suffered the "blue screen of death" and this is the first hiccup I've had with an Automatic Update.

Colleagues, your assistance is most gratefully sought in resolving this hiccup.

With kind regards,
Russell Dunn
Ferlach, Austria.

I had a similar problem a few years ago with Xp after I ran the Windows XP cd and did a system repair !! after 4 weeks of downloading updates and them not installing I went to Windows MS and typed in Updates will not install the answer was that the when you run the Cd and do the repair it deletes the Previous up dates and puts in the old line in the program that is no longer working so the updates cant install it was a simple matter of following the instructions find the line delete and type in the right Line and re start Pc , Bingo !! all updates installed trouble free.
I fixed 3 computers with the same problem after being taken to a computer store where they had run the Repair cd ! it changes the program back tpo the original and so downloads cant install , I could have fixed it for you Russell if you had told me about the problem earlier .

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.