Everytime I try to use mozilla firefox or google chrome a message pops up reading "The application or DLL C:\WINDOWS\system32\USP10.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette". It only lets me use internet explorer web browser.

I have tried many different things to try to fix it but have had no luck. I tried restoring my computer, running an anti virus program, restarting my computer, etc.

Please help. If you need any more information please let me know.

Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

I had the same problem, different file name, and checked Microsoft's support website. I am fully up to date with virus protection and was pretty sure I didn't have any kind of malware. Microsoft recommends renaming the file, adding .old (in your case that would be USP10.dll.old) and restarting your computer. It doesn't require complex downloads, is easily reversible if it doesn't work, and it fixed my problem.

Yes, usp10.dll is a protected file. Renaming it will generate another copy from cache. Or should... And then restart... see *.
Renaming... it's easy to lose track of renamed files, I put a couple of zeroes in front, then they go to the top of the list for easy deletion upon restart [* the sys may still be using it if it was already loaded, even though renamed, and so deletion will not be permitted]. So 00usp10.dll.old

Hi I have this, but when i go to command prompt and cannot type, what should I do.
Thanks

hey i have seen which file .dll window was saying that is bad image as in my case it was browsedefender.dll in alluserwindows/application data/...... so on which address was mentioned in error so i just deleted the file and now everything is fine yeah it was saying that i cant delete the file as it was used by some other process so i used my UNLOCKER program and unlock and delete it and now i am working like it never happened

Check the dates. This thread has been dead for 2 years!

Ah, but he found a solution [somewhere], and is dead pleased.

When you start a Microsoft Windows XP-based computer, you receive an error message that resembles the following:
The application or DLL C:\Windows\system32\winspool.drv is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.

This problem occurs if the Winspool.drv file is corrupted.

To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
Click Start, click Run, type %Windir%\system32, and then click OK.

Note %Windir% represents the path of the Windows system folder. Typically, C:\Windows is the path of the Windows system folder.
Right-click the Winspool.drv file, and then click Rename.
Type winspool.drv.old, and then press ENTER.
Restart the computer.

Article ID: 919753 - Last Review: June 9, 2006 - Revision: 1.1
APPLIES TO
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Keywords:
kbtshoot KB919753

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.