Hello,
I am using Windows XP Home edition and my mouse does not work in safe mode, otherwise, it works without any problems. The keyboard works in safe mode. Will you please tell me how I can get my mouse to work in safe mode? I've searched the internet and the Microsoft Knowledge Base and only found something relating to Windows 2000 or earlier.

I am using a serial mouse and connecting to my computer's serial port.

The registry shows this:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\
sermouse.sys

sermouse.sys shows this:
Name Type Data
ab (Default) REG_SZ Driver

In Control Panel\Mouse\Hardware\Properties\Driver\Driver Details:

Driver files:
(green check mark) C:\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\mouclass.sys
(green check mark) C:\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\sermouse.sys

File version for mouclass.sys is 5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)
File version for sermouse.sys is 5.1.2600.0 (XPClient.010817-1148)
both have the Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows XP Publisher

Both files, sermouse.sys and mouclass.sys, do appear in the System32\Drivers file. The mouclass.sys entry does not exist in the registry. I tried adding mouclass.sys to the registry--no effect--although I let stand the name as (Default) because I didn't know what else to call it. Next, I tried deleting sermouse.sys and leaving mouclass.sys in the registry--no effect. So, I returned everything back to what it was. I added sermouse.sys and deleted mouclass.sys. Will you help me?

Thank you,
Sabrina

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

i havnt found anything on this sry .. There are circumstances where safe mode will not be able to help you, such as when Windows system files that are required to start the system are corrupted or damaged. In this case, the Recovery Console may help you.

and make sure you chooseing the right safe mode ...

To start the computer in safe mode

1. You should print these instructions before continuing. They will not be available after you shut your computer down in step 2.
  2. Click Start, click Shut Down, and then, in the drop-down list, click Shut down.
  3. In the Shut Down Windows dialog box, click Restart, and then click OK.
  4. When you see the message Please select the operating system to start, press F8.
  5. Use the arrow keys to highlight the appropriate safe mode option, and then press ENTER.
  6. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the installation that you need to access using the arrow keys, and then press ENTER.

and you might want to contact :evil: microsoft:evil: and ask them they help sometimes... :rolleyes: (maybe)

Finally---

I guess XP doesn't support a serial mouse in safe mode but it does support a ps/2 mouse. I tried a ps/2 and now have a mouse in safe mode.

Thanks,

Sabrina

Is your mouse a USB mouse ? If it is then it's not supported in Safe-Mode

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.