I have windows XP with SP3, my system configuration is pentium -4 2.8 Ghz with 2 GB of RAM, hard disk is 80GB with 3 drives of which c drive is 18.6 GB free space is 6.10, my problem is resuming after Hibernation takes atleast 5 mins, i had Celeron PC b4 which took only 1-2 mins to resume, plz could anybody guide me to increase the resuming speed of my PC after hybernation, plz dont suggest me to defragment my PC which i have done n number of times but to no use:@.

Recommended Answers

All 46 Replies

I had a similar problem where my computer would just force shut itself down instead of hibernating. I was told to delete the hibernation files. The next time I hibernated itm, it actually worked!

this is not the solution, plz somebody help me

somebody plz help me

where can we find hibernation files

nobody has the solution for this problem is it waste of asking here

Itis quite possible that the hibfile.sys has become corrupted. Usually the hib file is in the windows directory or maybe windows / system.
Ther eis a proper way of deleting and remaking this file and there is a microsoft knowledge database article on it. Sorry I do not have the link. If this does not solve the problem then it is possibly either cmos settings or hardware related. The cmos settings refering to power management may need looking at.
M

thanks mjdodd i will look into it

still nobody answered

whilst you presumably (since you did not give info) have looked for the hibfile.sys file. If it is there it is also possible that it is corrupted and checking it with a BOOT defragmentation program like Iobit defrag will assess its viability. It must be a defrag program that is set to and operates at boot time and not just any old defrag program and it must be set to defrag at boot time as well.
M

I think it takes a long time to hibernate because you have 3 HDD's

When you hibernate, Windows puts all info that is in the memory on your HDD.
Maybe you have too many programs running (background programs too!) or maybe Windows is wasting time putting the info to all 3 of your Hard drives.

P.S You don't have to keep posting "nobody has answered" and stuff like that... Be patient! I have threads that will have no new posts for days even weeks.

thanks mjdodd i will look into it

What did you find? When you say you are going to look into something people will not reply until you post your results, ball is in your court at that time.

Remember you are asking for FREE help, you won't get far insulting people on this board. A please and thank you goes a long way at least for me.

there is no hybenation.sys file in my C:

If you have your Windows CD still, click on the start button click on run then type in sfc /scannow it will scan for missing system files and replace them.

or maybe your BIOS cant support hibernation?

javanoob101

Not really sure this last post should be here and I think this is probably a finished thread?
M

I think it takes a long time to hibernate because you have 3 HDD's

When you hibernate, Windows puts all info that is in the memory on your HDD.
Maybe you have too many programs running (background programs too!) or maybe Windows is wasting time putting the info to all 3 of your Hard drives.

P.S You don't have to keep posting "nobody has answered" and stuff like that... Be patient! I have threads that will have no new posts for days even weeks.

who said i have three HDD, have only one that too 80 GB

hard disk is 80GB with 3 drives of which c drive is 18.6 GB free space is 6.10

If you had said tha you have 3 partitions instead of 3 drives then no confusion would have ensued!

someone has removed the post that my last comment refered to. Thank you and please therefore now ignore my lost post
m

If you had said tha you have 3 partitions instead of 3 drives then no confusion would have ensued!

iam very confused don't who is commenting for what, BTW i have 3 partitions in my HDD of 80 GB

C Drive--20 GB
D Drive--6 GB
E Drive--50 GB

now i thing sir this is enough, plz brothers somebody solve my problem, you ppl are confusing me by commenting for what i donno.

Notwithstanding all that has gone before, if your hiberfil.sys is working correctly the number of disks, drives, partitions etc is irrelevant, hiberfil.sys merely creates a file reflecting the contents of your memory at the time of commencing the shutdown process. Turning hibernation off will clear the hiberfile from the C: root. If then when it is turned on it still takes "forever" it could be driver or hardware incompatibility with the ACPI specification.
Personally, I fail to see why a home user would need to use hibernate at all, the idea is a non sequitur. If you are leaving your sys just save first and shut it down yourself. What are you doing that is so mission critical that you need to revive the exact memory state? And if it is so critical, why would you not save your stuff as you go?

Notwithstanding all that has gone before, if your hiberfil.sys is working correctly the number of disks, drives, partitions etc is irrelevant, hiberfil.sys merely creates a file reflecting the contents of your memory at the time of commencing the shutdown process. Turning hibernation off will clear the hiberfile from the C: root. If then when it is turned on it still takes "forever" it could be driver or hardware incompatibility with the ACPI specification.
Personally, I fail to see why a home user would need to use hibernate at all, the idea is a non sequitur. If you are leaving your sys just save first and shut it down yourself. What are you doing that is so mission critical that you need to revive the exact memory state? And if it is so critical, why would you not save your stuff as you go?

brother i have a slow internet connection, i can't open all the contents again n again, it takes a long time to load the web page, so i don't like to close those pages and hibernate my system.

Ah.. that is annoying, but something to put up with [the connection]. I can only suggest that you dl and run ProcMon from just before you shutdown to hibernation. Then check the log for too-long times [gaps] in the Duration column.
With 2GB of mem you hardly need much of a page file.... I monitor the usage of mine.. they rarely go over 150MB total. [you can dl a small thing called WinXP-2K_PageFile from http://billsway.com/notes_public/WinXP_Tweaks/ to check how yours is used]. I think setting your PF to, say, 200MB min and 750MB max would be ok.

previously i had celeron 2 GHz system with only 1GB RAM which used to resume very quickly but now this P4 2.8 GHz system with 2GB RAM is taking so much time to resume

Yes, I did note that from your first post, and it is why I suggested that there may be a driver conflict with tha ACPI specification. And I'm afraid i cannot help you with that, except to suggest that ProcMon from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb795533 may help you identify an item which is taking too long to run when you initialise hibernation. But please don't post the log... they are verrry long; start the capture just seconds before you go to hibernation, and to view the log use the filter wisely.

It might be causing because of some open programs at the time of hibernation , seems like some programs are taking a long time to open and close,

you need to use hit and trial for all other processes running at that time , try one process at one time and close it in task manager and then try it .. Hopefully you will find the culprit program.

Hope it helps !!!

well i have formated my total PC including all the partitions created fresh partitions and installed Win XP SP2 but still the problem haunts me

i too feel that some hardware is creating this problem, plz somebody suggest some solution in this case.

Since you have a Intel Pentium 4 proccesor, (I assume you have a Dell?) I'll try hibernating tonight and will see if your problem happens on my computer. (I have a Dell Optiplex GX270 with an Intel Pentium 4 Proccesor @2.6Ghz I'll disable my Hyper-Threading) I'll let you guys know if the problem occurs. If it does, we can start narrowing down the problems to the hardware.

All I can suggest is that you update to the latest drivers for your hardwre.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.