Hi my PC has no sound and the 'C-Media AC97 Audio Device' in the device manager has a yellow exclamation mark next to it. I have tried un-installing and re-installing it but this does nothing.
Can anybody tell me how to fix this or how to aquire a working device for it.
Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 38 Replies

Yellow sign mean that the driver is not installed. Go to the manufacturer website and download and install the latest drivers. Any questions just ask. I will help you out. Good luck

Yellow sign mean that the driver is not installed. Go to the manufacturer website and download and install the latest drivers. Any questions just ask. I will help you out. Good luck

I downloaded a driver yester day from acers website but it didn't seem to do anything?

What is your computer specs? Are you using desktop or laptop?

We need to know about it so we can search for the problem easily and come up with possible solution for it...

Try this just in case...
* Go to device manager and select the hardware with yellow exclamation mark
* Uninstall it just in case
* Click on scan for hardware changes icon and a window will pop up
* Select no to update driver from windows update (if any)
* Select install from a list or specific location
* Select Don't search.
* Select any compatible driver listed in the box and click next.
* See if the hardware works and confirm if no yellow icon show up in device manager

Member Avatar for thunderstorm98

Are you sure its AC97 Codec or HD Audio ? Did you installed that driver (C-Media) or its suddenly stopped working ?

What is your computer specs? Are you using desktop or laptop?

We need to know about it so we can search for the problem easily and come up with possible solution for it...

Try this just in case...
* Go to device manager and select the hardware with yellow exclamation mark
* Uninstall it just in case
* Click on scan for hardware changes icon and a window will pop up
* Select no to update driver from windows update (if any)
* Select install from a list or specific location
* Select Don't search.
* Select any compatible driver listed in the box and click next.
* See if the hardware works and confirm if no yellow icon show up in device manager

That didn't seem to do anything. No change.

Are you sure its AC97 Codec or HD Audio ? Did you installed that driver (C-Media) or its suddenly stopped working ?

I have no idea.

I bought the Desktop from Ebay, it's quite an old Acer. The sound never worked since i recieved it.

dnt worry friend , download universal high defination audio driver from realtek , this works on all acer machines,
now extract files into an folder and go to deice manager
right click on this icon use update driver / from my computer and browse to folder (where u have extract files ) nw run
surly this will work for u?

dnt worry friend , download universal high defination audio driver from realtek , this works on all acer machines,
now extract files into an folder and go to deice manager
right click on this icon use update driver / from my computer and browse to folder (where u have extract files ) nw run
surly this will work for u?

Do you have a link? Realtek just keeps prompting me to buy things from a driver navigator.

As i said realtek site just wants me to buy things and doesn't actually have anything with the name 'universal high definition audio driver' and those other sites don't look safe.

I am not sure whether this is the correct link. Try it

9down is safe site i have tested using McAfee site adviser. and brothersoft is also a safe sit ,

9down is safe site i have tested using McAfee site adviser. and brothersoft is also a safe sit ,

I know that. I wanted to give him more link.

I downloaded the Realtek High Definition Audio Driver but it didn't do anything. When it says installation is complete and restarts my computer, C-Media just re-installs itself and i can't find the RHDAD anywhere.
What exactly am i supposed to do? Thanks.

Show me the picture of the yellow sign and the driver that is currently intalled. Take a picture and post it here, i need to see what driver is suitable for your computer

When did this happen. Did it happen right after you do a system restore? Backup your data on an external hard diks and try reformatting it. You might want to back up your web browser bookmarks as well.

I bought the PC from ebay it was restored to factory settings already.

EDIT. I have finally found out the model of the PC if this helps in any way it is an AcerSystem Aspire 8000 XP DDRb

It doesn't work. What an absolute fail of a computer this is.

Thanks anyway.

You said you bought it from Ebay, try contacting the person who sold you the laptop. Maybe he has experience this problem before. If he experience the same problem as you before, he might have sold the computer to you because he cannot solve the problem himself too. In that case, you might have been cheated because he sold you a computer that cannot work.

Try to contact the person who sell you the laptop first.

It seems that your sound device is actually working, at least to the extent that the system can recognise it, and know that the driver is incorrect, or corrupt.
These chaps are good: http://members.driverguide.com/
Just paste into Search your C-Media AC97 Audio Device, or [better..] choose Sound Card and follow through. You might come to this page:
http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=136560
Grab that file [register, please.] and install it.

Well maybe the cable inside the desktop has wrong connection. Open your desktop casing and check a cable with name 'Ac'97' or 'HD audio' embedded on the head cable.

If it's HD audio, then follow uv4u post and you should be fine...

ignore my last post... I didn't notice this page already expanded.

Try to uninstall the c-media driver and reboot. After reboot, if it come up with 'add new hardware' just cancel it and install realtek driver. If it still showing C-media, then something is wrong with your pc...

ignore my last post... I didn't notice this page already expanded.

Try to uninstall the c-media driver and reboot. After reboot, if it come up with 'add new hardware' just cancel it and install realtek driver. If it still showing C-media, then something is wrong with your pc...

Yes, it does this, so there must be something wrong with it.

I contacted the seller and he said at home he has a Card that i install into a pci slot, and comes with a disk that will add 5.1 surround sound.

Does that sound ligit?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.